Finding postgraduate scholarships for quantum field theory in the USA

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
ndung200790
Messages
519
Reaction score
0
Please guide me to find out a Scholarship on QTF Theory in USA.I intend to make the Thesis on the Replacing the asymptotic perturbative QTF theory(Feymann diagrams) by a Non-asymptotic QTF theory.
Thank you very much in advanced.
Francis Xavier Nguyen Dung. Vinh Diocese,Vietnam(country)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of scholarship?

1. Academic study or achievement; learning of a high level.

or

2. A grant or payment made to support a student's education, awarded on the basis of academic...
 
I am seeking a scholarship meaning small sum of money enough for food to living in abroad(USA) and after I finish my Thesis I will have a certificate of Master or Ph.D degree.
 
Almost all of the international students at my universities graduate program have their degree from a school outside the US. The University pays their tuition, as well as their living expenses. I am sure there are similar programs for most all of the Universities here. Your best bet might be sending an email to the graduate admissions department of a school you would like to attend, and find out if such a program is possible for your situation.
 
ndung200790 said:
Please guide me to find out a Scholarship on QTF Theory in USA.I intend to make the Thesis on the Replacing the asymptotic perturbative QTF theory(Feymann diagrams) by a Non-asymptotic QTF theory.
Thank you very much in advanced.
Francis Xavier Nguyen Dung. Vinh Diocese,Vietnam(country)

You pretty much need to apply and be accepted at a University that is willing to support you and pay your tuition.
 
ndung200790 said:
Please guide me to find out a Scholarship on QTF Theory in USA.I intend to make the Thesis on the Replacing the asymptotic perturbative QTF theory(Feymann diagrams) by a Non-asymptotic QTF theory.
Thank you very much in advanced.
Francis Xavier Nguyen Dung. Vinh Diocese,Vietnam(country)

You might want to read Chapter VI of my "So You Want To Be A Physicist" essay.

Take note that, unless you get accepted at a school that generally gives ALL their graduate students some form of assistantships (example: Stanford), most universities in the US generally do NOT provide any financial assistantships to incoming international students, unless they truly need TAs, etc. There's a strong possibility that you may have to support yourself (and prove that you can support yourself financially to obtain your student visa) until you pass your qualifier and gain either a TA'ship or RA'ship.

Zz.
 
ZapperZ said:
Take note that, unless you get accepted at a school that generally gives ALL their graduate students some form of assistantships (example: Stanford), most universities in the US generally do NOT provide any financial assistantships to incoming international students, unless they truly need TAs, etc. There's a strong possibility that you may have to support yourself (and prove that you can support yourself financially to obtain your student visa) until you pass your qualifier and gain either a TA'ship or RA'ship.
I'm a bit confused, all the places that I applied to (including some ranked 50-100 in USNWR) offered full tuition + stipend for *all* admitted students, even internationals. I guess getting admission itself is somewhat more competitive for internationals, but once admitted, I don't think there's much difference in the level of financial support for domestic and international students. (Stony Brook is probably the one exception I know of, but that's kinda a long story...)
 
Schrodu said:
I'm a bit confused, all the places that I applied to (including some ranked 50-100 in USNWR) offered full tuition + stipend for *all* admitted students, even internationals. I guess getting admission itself is somewhat more competitive for internationals, but once admitted, I don't think there's much difference in the level of financial support for domestic and international students. (Stony Brook is probably the one exception I know of, but that's kinda a long story...)

Around the Chicago area, I can name Northwestern, UIC, and IIT as the 3 in which you don't necessarily get an assistantship even with your admission.

Zz.