1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help electric field and electric potential

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    One positive (+2q) and two negative (-q) charges are arranged as displayed in fgure 1.
    Calculate electric feld E and electric potential (a) at points along the positive y¡axis as
    functions of their coordinate y. What is the direction of E at those points? In your results,
    does y-component Ey of the field satisfy Ey = -dx/dy? Is it supposed to satisfy?

x
    -q...................................2q...................................q)

2. Relevant equations

E = ke q/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

i dont know how to start this problem.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I do not understand your picture..

4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    i added the picture

5. Sep 23, 2007 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then the electric field is force/ unit charge.

So you should add all forces that comes from the 3three charges; note their signs! ; as a function of y.

What is the distance from point y to x ? (i.e the r in the formula), hint: triangle..

6. Sep 23, 2007 #5
    i will try that thank you.

7. Sep 23, 2007 #6
    so for the first part, i got

E = -4ke/a^2
    is that all or can i solve this further?

8. Sep 23, 2007 #7

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

where did the 4 come from? And it should be a function of y, and i forgot: Use also vectors. i.e for a certain point on the y-axis, find the x and y composant of the force for each charge, then add x and y-wise; so you get the direction too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?