Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help in integration of Associate Legendre function

1. Jun 20, 2010 #1
    I don't understand why I solve the integration in two different ways and get two different answers!!

To find:

[tex]\int_0^{\pi} P_1^1(cos \theta) sin \theta d \theta [/tex]

1) Solve in [itex] \theta[/itex]

[tex] P_1(cos \theta) = cos \theta \;\Rightarrow \; P_1^1(cos \theta)= -sin \theta [/tex]

[tex]\int_0^{\pi} P_1^1(cos \theta) sin \theta d \theta = -\int_0^{\pi}sin^2 \theta d \theta = -\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

2) Let [tex]s=cos \theta \;\Rightarrow \; d\theta = \frac{ds}{-sin \theta} [/tex]

[tex]\int_0^{\pi} P_1^1(cos \theta) sin \theta d \theta = -\int _1^{-1} P_1^1(s)ds[/tex]

[tex]P_1(s)=s \;\Rightarrow P_1^1(s)=1[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^{\pi} P_1^1(cos \theta) sin \theta d \theta = -\int _1^{-1} P_1^1(s)ds = -s|_1^{-1} = 2[/tex]

You see the two method yield two answers!!! I know it should yield the same answer, the book show how to solve the problems in 2) form. Please tell me what did I do wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2010 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your error is here:
    You have the correct expression for the Legendre polynomial P1(s) but not for the associated Legendre function. The correct expression for the associated Legendre functions is given by

[tex]P_l^m (x) = (-1)^m(1-x^2)^{m/2}\frac{d^m}{dx^m}P_l(x)[/tex]
  4. Jun 20, 2010 #3

It must be too late last night. I somehow stuck with the idea that [itex] P_1^1(x) \hbox { is just derivative of } P_1(x)[/itex]! I should have gone to sleep instead of posting this!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook