Please help in integration of Associate Legendre function

In summary, the conversation is about solving an integration problem using two different methods and getting two different answers. The first method involves solving in theta and using the Legendre polynomial P1(cos theta) while the second method involves substitution and using the associated Legendre function P1^1(cos theta). The mistake made was in assuming that P1^1(cos theta) is just the derivative of P1(cos theta). The correct expression for P1^1(cos theta) is (-1)^m(1-cos^2 theta)^{m/2}d^m/d(cos theta)^m P1(cos theta).
yungman
I don't understand why I solve the integration in two different ways and get two different answers!

To find:

[tex]\int_0^{\pi} P_1^1(cos \theta) sin \theta d \theta [/tex]

1) Solve in [itex] \theta[/itex]

[tex] P_1(cos \theta) = cos \theta \;\Rightarrow \; P_1^1(cos \theta)= -sin \theta [/tex]

[tex]\int_0^{\pi} P_1^1(cos \theta) sin \theta d \theta = -\int_0^{\pi}sin^2 \theta d \theta = -\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

2) Let [tex]s=cos \theta \;\Rightarrow \; d\theta = \frac{ds}{-sin \theta} [/tex]

[tex]\int_0^{\pi} P_1^1(cos \theta) sin \theta d \theta = -\int _1^{-1} P_1^1(s)ds[/tex]

[tex]P_1(s)=s \;\Rightarrow P_1^1(s)=1[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^{\pi} P_1^1(cos \theta) sin \theta d \theta = -\int _1^{-1} P_1^1(s)ds = -s|_1^{-1} = 2[/tex]

You see the two method yield two answers! I know it should yield the same answer, the book show how to solve the problems in 2) form. Please tell me what did I do wrong.

thanks

Alan

Physics news on Phys.org
Your error is here:
yungman said:
[tex]P_1(s)=s \;\Rightarrow P_1^1(s)=1[/tex]

You have the correct expression for the Legendre polynomial P1(s) but not for the associated Legendre function. The correct expression for the associated Legendre functions is given by

[tex]P_l^m (x) = (-1)^m(1-x^2)^{m/2}\frac{d^m}{dx^m}P_l(x)[/tex]

D H said:
Your error is here:

You have the correct expression for the Legendre polynomial P1(s) but not for the associated Legendre function. The correct expression for the associated Legendre functions is given by

[tex]P_l^m (x) = (-1)^m(1-x^2)^{m/2}\frac{d^m}{dx^m}P_l(x)[/tex]

Thanks

It must be too late last night. I somehow stuck with the idea that [itex] P_1^1(x) \hbox { is just derivative of } P_1(x)[/itex]! I should have gone to sleep instead of posting this!

Thanks

Alan

What is the Associate Legendre function?

The Associate Legendre function is a mathematical function that is used in the study of spherical harmonics and quantum mechanics. It is defined as a special case of the Legendre function and is denoted by Pmn(x), where m and n are non-negative integers and x is a real number between -1 and 1.

What is the importance of integrating the Associate Legendre function?

Integrating the Associate Legendre function is important in many areas of science, particularly in physics and engineering. It allows us to solve problems involving spherical symmetry and quantum mechanics, and is used in a variety of applications such as solving differential equations, calculating electric potentials, and modeling gravitational forces.

How do you integrate the Associate Legendre function?

The integration of the Associate Legendre function can be performed using various mathematical techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and power series expansions. The specific method used will depend on the form of the function and the desired level of accuracy. Some integration techniques may require the use of computer software or numerical methods to obtain a solution.

What are some common challenges faced when integrating the Associate Legendre function?

One of the main challenges in integrating the Associate Legendre function is dealing with the complex and multi-dimensional nature of the function. This can make it difficult to obtain closed-form solutions, and may require the use of numerical methods or approximation techniques. Additionally, the integration may become more complicated when dealing with higher order functions or when the limits of integration are not well-defined.

Are there any real-world applications of the Associate Legendre function?

Yes, the Associate Legendre function has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used in the study of spherical systems, such as planetary orbits and atomic structures. It is also utilized in solving differential equations and modeling physical phenomena, such as electric fields and gravitational forces. In addition, the Associate Legendre function has applications in image processing, signal analysis, and data compression.