Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Solve DE for theta component (hydrogen WF)

1. Jan 8, 2017 #1
    The particular equation I would like to see solve is:
    ##\sin\theta\frac{d}{d\theta}(\sin\theta\frac{d\Theta}{d\theta})+\Theta(l(l+1)\sin\theta-m^2)##

The solution for this equation is the following associated laguerre polynomial:
    ##P^m_l(\cos\theta)=(-1)^m(\sin\theta)^m\frac{d^m}{d\cos\theta^m}\bigg(\frac{1}{2^ll!}\frac{d^l}{d\cos\theta^l}(cos^2\theta-1)^l\bigg)##

This equation is involved in solving the schrodinger equation for the hydrogen atom.
    Even though I already know the answer, I would like to know HOW to solve it

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2017 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Although never tried it myself, associated Legendre differential equation can be solved by power series expansion. For the ordinary Legendre differential equation see this. I guess you should be able to get the idea from that link when applied to the associated Legendre equation.
    By the way, no one can solve the equation you have there until you add equal sign and some terms in the other side.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  4. Jan 9, 2017 #3
    Oh oops, it's meant to equal zero, I forgot

5. Jan 9, 2017 #4

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted