Please help i've tried everything

• Thread starter labrador_94
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for the mass of steam needed to warm 200g of water in a 100g glass container from 20 degrees celsius to 45 degrees celsius. The equation Q=mc(delta)T is used to calculate the energy required, taking into account the energy needed to convert the steam to water and the energy needed to raise the water temperature by 25 degrees. However, this equation alone is not sufficient as it does not account for the conversion of steam to water and requires further clarification on the values used and how they are applied.
labrador_94

Homework Statement

What mass of steam initally at 150 degrees celcius is needed to warm 200g of water in a 100g glass container from 20 degrees celsius to 45 degrees celsius?

Homework Equations

I think Q=mc(delta)T

The Attempt at a Solution

using the above equation calculating the energy required to transfer the steam to 100 degrees and then the energy required to convert it to water and then the energy required to raise the water 25 degrees. That is not right though!

Physics news on Phys.org
That equation alone is not the whole story. What does "convert it to water" do? What values have you used in the equation and how have you used it?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help. It seems like you have the right idea in using the equation Q=mc(delta)T to solve this problem. However, in order to get the correct answer, you need to make sure you are using the correct values for mass, specific heat, and temperature change.

Firstly, the mass of the steam should be the same as the mass of the water that needs to be heated, which is 200g in this case. The specific heat of steam is different from that of water, so make sure you are using the correct value for that. Also, when calculating the energy required to convert steam to water, you need to consider the latent heat of vaporization.

Additionally, the glass container will also absorb some of the heat energy, so you need to take into account its mass and specific heat as well. It might be helpful to break the problem into smaller steps and calculate the energy required for each step separately. Then, add all the energies together to get the total energy required.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Remember to always check your units and make sure you are using the correct values for each variable in the equation. Keep trying and don't give up, you'll get the correct answer eventually!

1. Why is my solution not working?

There could be several reasons why your solution is not working. It could be due to incorrect methodology, faulty equipment, or missing key elements. It is important to carefully evaluate all aspects of your approach and make adjustments accordingly.

2. What should I do if I've exhausted all options?

If you have tried everything and still not seeing results, it may be time to seek advice from other experts in your field. They may have a different perspective and suggest new approaches that you haven't considered before.

3. How do I troubleshoot my experiment?

To troubleshoot your experiment, start by reviewing your methodology and ensure all steps are being followed correctly. Check your equipment for any malfunctions or errors. You can also consult with colleagues or conduct further research to identify potential issues.

4. How can I improve my experimental design?

To improve your experimental design, consider seeking feedback from other scientists, reviewing relevant literature, and conducting pilot studies. You can also try incorporating different variables or controls to strengthen your results.

5. Is it necessary to start over if my experiment fails?

Not necessarily. If your experiment fails, it is important to identify the reasons why and make necessary adjustments. This may involve repeating certain steps or making changes to your methodology. However, if the experiment is fundamentally flawed, it may be necessary to start over.