Calculating Entropy Change for Gas Sample with Helium and Ideal Gas Equation

• Thread starter jybe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary, the gas sample undergoes a state change from 30 degrees celsius and 25.0 L to 45 degrees celsius and 15.0 L, with 3.00 moles of Helium gas. The equation used to calculate the entropy change is ΔS = Cv*ln(Tf/Ti) + nR*ln(Vf/Vi), with Cp = 20.8 J/k*mol. However, the correct equation to use is ΔS = nCv*ln(Tf/Ti) + nR*ln(Vf/Vi), with Cp = Cv + R. Before plugging in the temperatures, they need to be converted to an absolute scale, such as Kelvin.
jybe

Homework Statement

A gas sample containing 3.00 moles of Helium gas undergoes a state change from 30 degrees celsius and 25.0 L to 45 degrees celsius and 15.0 L. What is the entropy change for the gas (ideal gas)? For He, Cp = 20.8 J/k*mol

Homework Equations

ΔS = Cv*ln(Tf/Ti) + nR*ln(Vf/Vi) = Cp*ln(Tf/Ti - nRln(Pf/Pi)

I don't know which equation to use ... I'm given Cp so do I have to convert it to Cv?

Cp = Cv + nR

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried converting Cp to Cv:

Cv = (20.8J/K*mol)(3mol) - (3mol)(8.314J/K*mol)

Cv = 37.458 J/K (not J/Kmol anymore)

Then,

ΔS = Cv*ln(Tf/Ti) + nR*ln(Vf/Vi)

ΔS = (37.458)*ln(45/30) + (3)(8.314)*ln(15/25)

ΔS = 2.447 J/k

But the answer is -10.9 J/K.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't gone through the calculations but I've noticed there are at least two or three things going wrong with your methods.

You seem to be mixing and matching you use of relative vs. absolute approach.

• If you are working with relative measures, then [itex] v [/itex] is assumed to be "volume per mole" and [itex] \Delta s [/itex] is assumed to be "change in entropy per mole." In this approach, [itex] \Delta s = C_v \ln \frac{T_f}{T_i} + R \ln \frac{v_f}{v_i} [/itex]. Notice that there is no variable [itex] n [/itex], since it's assumed that the entire equation is represented in "per mole."
  • If you are working in absolute terms -- where you have a known amount of gas (e.g., 3.00 moles) then [itex] V [/itex] is simply volume and [itex] \Delta S [/itex] is simply change in entropy. In that case, [itex] \Delta S = nC_v \ln \frac{T_f}{T_i} + nR \ln \frac{V_f}{V_i} [/itex].

In either case, [itex] C_p = C_v + R [/itex].

Before plugging your temperatures in, you need to convert them to an absolute scale, such as Kelvin. Celsius isn't going to work here.

1. How do you calculate entropy change for a gas sample with helium?

To calculate entropy change for a gas sample with helium, you need to use the ideal gas equation. This equation is PV = nRT, where P is the pressure of the gas, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature. This equation allows you to calculate the initial and final states of the gas sample, which are needed to determine the entropy change.

2. What is the ideal gas equation and how is it used to calculate entropy change?

The ideal gas equation is PV = nRT, as mentioned before. It is used to calculate the initial and final states of a gas sample, which are necessary to determine the change in entropy. The equation takes into account the pressure, volume, number of moles, and temperature of the gas.

3. What is entropy and why is it important to calculate?

Entropy is a thermodynamic property that measures the randomness or disorder of a system. In the context of gases, it represents the degree of molecular disorder or randomness in a gas sample. It is important to calculate entropy in order to understand and predict the behavior of gases and other systems in various conditions.

4. How does the addition of helium affect the entropy of a gas sample?

The addition of helium to a gas sample can increase the overall entropy of the system. This is because helium has a lower molecular weight compared to other gases, so it takes up more space and increases the disorder of the system. This increase in entropy can also be seen in the ideal gas equation, as the number of moles (n) increases with the addition of helium.

5. Can the ideal gas equation be used for any gas sample, or only for helium?

The ideal gas equation can be used for any gas sample, as long as the gas behaves ideally (i.e. follows the kinetic theory of gases). This means that the gas particles are assumed to have no volume and experience no interactions with each other. However, the equation may not be as accurate for gases with larger molecular weights, such as carbon dioxide or methane.