Please help me with the calculation from Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses a calculation in Physics involving the specific acoustic impedance of different mediums and the intensity reflection coefficient at different boundaries. The equation Z=pc is used to calculate Z for air, skin, and fat, and the equation α=(Z2-Z1)/(Z2+Z1) is used to calculate the reflection coefficient at the air-skin and skin-fat boundaries. The conversation also suggests looking into the physical significance of these calculations, particularly in the context of sonar technology.
DEWANA
Hi guys I hope U can help me with this calculation...

Im very bad in Physics...I have no Idea how to caluculate this equation
And I don't no how to start...please helppp mee...It help me very much to see how you calculate it THANK YOU VERY MUCH:

It says:
Use the data from the table below to calculate the specific acousstic impedance, Z of
i) air, ii) skin, iii) fat. Use the equation Z = pc

Medium Densit (p) kg m-3 Ultrasound velocity (c) m s-1
air 1.3 330
skin 1060 1540
fat 925 1450

Using the following equation:

α = (Z2 - Z1)
(Z2 + Z1)

caluculate the intensity reflection coefficient, α at iv) an air-skin boundry, v) a skin-fat boundry. Show all stages of your working.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please help me in Physics caluculation

DEWANA said:

And I don't no how to start...please helppp mee...It help me very much to see how you calculate it THANK YOU VERY MUCH:

It says:
Use the data from the table below to calculate the specific acousstic impedance, Z of

Medium
air
skin
fat

Density (p) kg m -3

Ultrasound velocity (c) m s-1

α = (Z2 - Z1)
(Z2 + Z1)

caluculate the intensity reflection coefficient, α at iv) an air-skin boundry, v) a skin-fat boundry. Show all stages of your working.

Thank U so much

It says:

air 1.3 330
skin 1060 1540
fat 925 1450

Are you seriously saying you are unable to calculate Z=pc in these three cases?

Hi arildno thanks for the quick answer...but serious I have no Idea how to caluculate it! If You know please helpp me...

thanks

maria :eek:)

What does "Z" stand for?
What does "p" stand for?
What does "c" stand for?

Answer those questions.

DEWANA said:

Is this issue here that you don't understand what is meant by 'pc'? For this part, they are just asking you to multiply together the values given in the table for each substance.

? = (Z2 - Z1)
(Z2 + Z1)

caluculate the intensity reflection coefficient, ? at iv) an air-skin boundry, v) a skin-fat boundry. Show all stages of your working.

For this second part, you would use the appropriate values of Z that you found in the first part to calculate [tex]\alpha[/tex] for each possible pair of substances. (Arrange the values in the numerator so that the difference is always positive.)

You are welcome to show the results you found if you have any questions about whether they are correct...

DEWANA said:

It says:

air 1.3 330
skin 1060 1540
fat 925 1450

α = (Z2 - Z1)
(Z2 + Z1)

DEWANA,
I ask this in what I hope you take as helpful. Do you know the physical meaning of what you are calculating? This reflection coefficient tells you what happens when a sound wave traveling in one medium (like water) hits the boundary between that medium and another medium (say air, or rock, or steel). If you have further interest, you might look up how sonar works and how the waves are reflected from the boundary between seawater and a steel hull. It tells you how a sonar operator knows the difference between a whale and a Red October or why hulls are sometimes coated with a substance similar to rubber. Sonar is not nearly the only application, but it might be interesting to see what the calculation means.

What is the formula for calculating acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

How do I calculate force?

The formula for calculating force is F = m * a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

What is the equation for calculating work?

The equation for work is W = F * d * cos(theta), where W is work, F is force, d is displacement, and theta is the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

How do I find the average velocity?

The average velocity can be calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken. The formula is v = d / t, where v is velocity, d is displacement, and t is time.

What is the equation for calculating kinetic energy?

The equation for kinetic energy is K = 1/2 * m * v^2, where K is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity.