Calculating Torque for Lever with Weight

• Thread starter choudhari.mayu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the problem involves calculating torque about a hinge point for a lever with weights attached. The first image has a 50 kg weight rotating about the red hinge point and the second image has a 66 kg weight rotating 90 degrees about the hinge. The equations for torque are mentioned and the attempt at a solution is provided, but there are errors in the calculations such as using the wrong units for length and leaving out the weight of the vertical bar. The correct values for length and weight should be used for accurate calculations.
choudhari.mayu

Homework Statement

Please find attached image. Help me pleasez find the torque.

Let me know if need any more info. the lever with weight rotates about the hinge. Need torque about the hinge.

1)
Image with 50 kg weight:
the 50 kg weight with link rotates about the red hinge point.

angle is as shown.

please help me out its urgent. need to calculate the torque about the red hinge point.

Assume Distances: black:x red: y conc. Mass size : z x z

2)
Image with 66 kg weight:
Also if we imagine the second position of the lever, it rotating 90 degree about the hinge, the link in black will have zero moment right??

then what will be the remaining torque.

Homework Equations

torque= distance * force or load

The Attempt at a Solution

i calculated the torque as
:
1) here i did ((30+2+50)*9.81*Sin20degree) * (horizontal distance between red hinge and centre of Blue square mass: 260 mm)

Am i doing it right.?

2)
(4.5*200*9.81) + (66*160*9.81)

Am i doing it right

Attachments

• Torque.JPG
    Torque.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
In (1), length of bar is needed.
sin(20) does not belong anywhere in your formula.

In (2), the units of length are not standard units. Use SI units.
What should be the lever length for the bar? Not 200 mm = 0.2m!
You also left out the weight of the veetical bar holding the 66 kg weight.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting or turning force applied to an object. In other words, it is the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point.

2. What are the units of torque?

The SI unit of torque is Newton-meters (N*m). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as foot-pounds (ft*lb) or inch-pounds (in*lb).

3. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance between the force and the pivot point. Mathematically, it can be expressed as torque = force * distance.

4. How does the direction of the force affect torque?

The direction of the force applied to an object affects the direction of the resulting torque. For example, if the force is applied perpendicular to the object, the torque will also be perpendicular. However, if the force is applied at an angle, the torque will be a combination of both perpendicular and parallel components.

5. What factors can affect torque?

The factors that can affect torque include the magnitude and direction of the force applied, the distance between the force and the pivot point, and the mass and shape of the object. Additionally, friction and air resistance can also affect torque.