Please help. My mind ceases to function.

In summary, The resistor in the circuit (R) is dropping potential difference (V) across it, which is causing the current (I) through it to be calculated as 1.91A. However, the resistor is actually dropping potential difference (V) across it, which is causing the current (I) through it to be calculated as 3.3A.
CartoonKid
p28-09alt.gif

Consider the circuit shown in Figure P28.9. (R = 33.0 .)

The question ask me to find the current flowing through the 33 ohm resistance and also the potential difference between point a and b.

I consider the 10, 5 and (33+5) to be parallel; 33 is in series with 5.

So the equivalent resistance found by me is 13.06 ohm, thus the total current is 1.91A. Then I apply the current division method and found that the current flowing through the 33 ohm was 0.154A. This answer was wrong!

Somebody please help me. I am quite depressing now. What's wrong with my answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
13.06 is right as is the 1.91A

Your current through the R leg is wrong though. How exactly did you find that value?

First I sum up the 10 and 5 resistance which are parallel. Then i can treat the circuit as if I have 2 resistances in parallel which are 10||5 = 3.33 ohm and (33+5) = 38 ohm. Then, I apply the current division law to find the current flowing through into the 38 ohm.

Here's another approach(KVL which I'd use this for simple circuits):

You have 1.91A going through the series 10 ohm resistor thus that resistor is dropping 19.1V.

The parallel legs of the circuit will all have the same voltage drop(by KVL) which will be 25-19.1=5.9V

so, [tex]V_R=5.9V/38=0.154A[/tex]

I'm sorry, I used a total resistance of 52 through the parallel elements(adding in ones head can lead to wrong answers).

Your answer appears to be right.

Any chance you miscopied the value R=(33 ohms)? Could it be R=(3.3 ohms)?
Also, what was the answer provided? It may give a clue to the problem here.

I have again submitted the answer. The potential difference appears appear to be correct. But the current is still wrong. What's wrong again? I only have one last attempt only. Please help.

xanthym said:
Any chance you miscopied the value R=(33 ohms)? Could it be R=(3.3 ohms)?
Also, what was the answer provided? It may give a clue to the problem here.

I have double checked the value, it's really 33.0 ohms. It's an online assignment of mine, so there is no answer provided.

Well, 3 people here have all calculated exactly the same results!

What could be causing my inability to think?

There could be a variety of factors that contribute to your difficulty in thinking clearly. Some possible causes could include stress, lack of sleep, dehydration, mental health issues, or an underlying medical condition.

What steps can I take to improve my thinking abilities?

There are several things you can do to enhance your cognitive function. Some suggestions include getting enough sleep, staying hydrated, exercising regularly, eating a balanced and nutritious diet, practicing mindfulness and relaxation techniques, and seeking professional help if necessary.

Is it normal to experience a temporary lapse in cognitive function?

Yes, it is common for people to experience periods of mental fog or difficulty thinking clearly. This could be due to a variety of reasons such as fatigue, stress, or distractions. However, if you are consistently struggling with cognitive function, it may be a sign of a larger issue and it is important to seek help.

How can I tell if my difficulty in thinking is a sign of a more serious problem?

If you are experiencing persistent and severe difficulty in thinking, it is important to consult a medical professional. They can help determine if there is an underlying medical condition or if there are other factors contributing to your cognitive struggles.

Are there any techniques or strategies I can use to improve my mental clarity?

Yes, there are various methods you can try to enhance your cognitive function. These may include setting goals and priorities, breaking tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks, using memory aids and organizational tools, and practicing techniques such as deep breathing or meditation to reduce stress and increase focus.