Please help, quick and simple. Potential Energy of Spring?

In summary, the blocks have masses of 1.00 kg and 3.00 kg, and are forced together with a compressed spring between them on a frictionless surface. After being released, the spring drops to the surface and block B acquires a speed of 1.10 m/s. To find the final speed of block A, conservation of energy can be used since all the mechanical energy is stored in the spring. The combined kinetic energy of both blocks is equal to the potential energy stored in the spring. By plugging in the masses and final speed of block B, the potential energy can be calculated. However, momentum must also be conserved in this system. After one attempt, the correct answer was found by squaring
jgibbon2
Block A has mass 1.00 kg, and block B has mass 3.00 kg. The blocks are forced together, compressing a spring between them; then the system is released from rest on a level, frictionless surface. The spring, which has negligible mass, is not fastened to either block and drops to the surface after it has expanded. Block B acquires a speed of 1.10 m/s.

a) What is the final speed of block A? Found this answer to be 3.30 m/s

b) How much potential energy was stored in the compressed spring?
- how do you find this answer??

Physics news on Phys.org
a level, frictionless surface

How about conservation of energy. The blocks are released from rest where all the mechanical energy is stored in the spring.

Determine the combined kinetic energy of both blocks.

first of all thanks for helping...

okay... so i tried (1/2mv^2)a+(1/2mv^2)b=PEspring ... got 9.075 as a wrong answer...
did i mis-understand you?? i only have one more attempt at this problem (it is a mastering physics problem).

Momentum is also conserved...

Initial speed for both blocks...is 0...

and you have the masses and the final speed of one block...

isn't that how to find the final speed of block A? or am i missing something...
becuase i already have that...
i have all of the information for this problem and just need to find the potential energy that is stored in the spring...

I have the same exact problem. I figured that the potential energy would be equal to the combined kinetic energies so I did:

.5*1*4.8 + .5*3*1.6 = 4.8 :( but it is wrong.

ok! i got it! i was right i just forgot to square the velocities :)

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object has due to its position, shape, or condition. It is the energy that an object has the potential to convert into other forms of energy.

How is potential energy of a spring calculated?

The potential energy of a spring can be calculated using the equation PE = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

What are the factors that affect potential energy of a spring?

The potential energy of a spring is affected by the spring constant, which is determined by the material and shape of the spring, as well as the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

What is the relationship between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy and kinetic energy are two forms of energy that can be converted into each other. As an object gains potential energy, its kinetic energy decreases, and vice versa.

What is the importance of understanding potential energy of a spring?

Understanding potential energy of a spring is important in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and mechanics. It allows us to accurately predict the behavior and performance of objects that use springs, such as trampolines, car suspensions, and door hinges.