1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help to find the equation for this hyperbola problem

1. Jun 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I would really appreciate if someone can help me understand how my teacher came up with the answer for this find my equation hyperbola problem. I have enclosed a copy of the problem and the solution provided by my teacher. Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    Looks like you are provided with a graph of a hyperbola with some points on it, and a labelled assymptote.
    (One of the points is a hole.)

In principle you should be able to just read five points off the graph to solve the conic section equation - but you are best to use points that are given to you and so avoid making an error reading the graph.

It is faster to use reason and the clues provided ... like if you know how hyperbolas factor in general, then you can pretty much plug in the values for the roots and the assymptotes and limits... whose values you can read off the graph.

I cannot tell from the pics how your teacher did it.
    Have you had a go reasoning it out yourself?

The underlined (x-3) appears in the solution numerator and denominator ... there is a hole at x=3, but the inclusion in the answer cancels out.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  4. Jun 2, 2014 #3
    Thank you for the quick reply.

I managed to solve the problem by using the reasons and clues like you suggested. By using the zeros, vertical asymptote, and hole, I found the solution.

However, I am still wondering how the equation would change when the hyperbola opens east-west instead of north-south. Any ideas?

5. Jun 2, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You mean if you rotate it 90deg about the origin?
    Why not do the transform and see?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted