1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the equation of hyperbola

1. Jan 5, 2013 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    From the point (2√2,1) a pair of tangents are drawn to [itex]\dfrac{x^2}{a^2}-\dfrac{y^2}{b^2} = 1,[/itex] which intersect the coordinate axes in concyclic points . If one of the tangents is inclined at an angle of [itex]tan^{-1}\frac{1}{√2}[/itex] with the transverse axis of the hyperbola , then find the equation of
    i) hyperbola ii)circle formed using concyclic points

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Equation of tangent
    [itex]y=mx+\sqrt{a^2m^2-b^2}[/itex]
    where m = [itex]tan^{-1}\frac{1}{√2}[/itex]
    Passing it through the given point will give me an equation in a and b. But there are two unknowns.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2013 #2
    Condition for tangency is ##c^2=a^2m^2-b^2##. Can you find c?

edit: sorry didn't see that you already did this. I think you have to use the fact that the points are concyclic, or find the equation of the other tangent.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  4. Jan 6, 2013 #3

utkarshakash

Gold Member

But how?

5. Jan 7, 2013 #4
    I think some data might be missing. All I can think of is that the slope of the tangent is -B/A where A and B represent the intercepts of this tangent. A relation between A and B can be found by looking at the circle formed by the points of the intercept, as they are at equal distances from the centre...but the centre is not known too..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook