Please i cannot find any help on this question so far

• Thread starter bharp24
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to solve for the rate of heat flow through a short cylindrical element and is having trouble.
bharp24
please... i cannot find any help on this question so far!

Homework Statement

A rod is initially at a uniform temperature of 0 ^deg C throughout. One end is kept at 0 ^deg C, and the other is brought into contact with a steam bath at 100 ^deg C. The surface of the rod is insulated so that heat can flow only lengthwise along the rod. The cross-sectional area of the rod is 2.50 cm^2, its length is 120 cm, its thermal conductivity is 380 W/m * K, its density is 1.00 x 10^4 kg/m^3, and its specific heat capacity is 520 J/ kg * K. Consider a short cylindrical element of the rod 1.00 cm in length.

1. If the temperature gradient at the cooler end of this element is 140 deg C/m, how many joules of heat energy flow across this end per second?

2. If the average temperature of the element is increasing at the rate of 0.250 deg C/sec, what is the temperature gradient at the other end of the element?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have gotten number 1 to be 13.3W, but do not know how to proceed with number 2. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
both 1 & 2 are about a short cylindrical element of the rod 1.00 cm in length.

You know the heat going out at the cooler end. You know how quickly the temperature rises and you can calculate how much the internal energy of the element increases, so you should be able to calculate how much heat energy goes in at the hot end.

I am still stuggling. I see that from the equation H = kA(Th-Tc)/L, i can say that H is equal to dQ/dt, which is the rate of the heat current. I took this information and applied my .25 celsius degrees to the equation.

.25/(kA) = (Th-Tc)/L ---the temp. gradient

This is wrong though, what am I missing. I am desperate at this point!

1. Where can I find help for my specific question?

There are many resources available to help you find answers to your question. Some suggestions include searching online forums, consulting with colleagues or experts in your field, or reaching out to your university or professional organization for assistance.

2. What steps can I take to find an answer on my own?

If you are having trouble finding help for your question, try breaking it down into smaller parts and conducting more specific searches. You can also try experimenting with different keywords and using advanced search techniques, such as Boolean operators or quotation marks.

3. How can I ensure the information I find is accurate?

It is important to critically evaluate the sources of information you find. Look for reputable websites and check for author credentials or affiliations. You can also cross-reference information from multiple sources to verify its accuracy.

4. What should I do if I still cannot find help for my question?

If you have exhausted all other options and still cannot find help for your question, consider reaching out to a professional research service or consulting with a librarian. They can offer expert guidance and help you find reliable resources for your specific question.

5. How can I improve my research skills for future questions?

To improve your research skills, make sure to keep up with current trends and developments in your field. Practice using different search strategies and familiarize yourself with various databases and resources. Additionally, seek feedback from others and continuously strive to expand your knowledge and expertise.