1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I cannot find enough referees to vouch for me I might not get accepted

1. Mar 3, 2010 #1
    I cannot find enough referees to vouch for me!! I might not get accepted

Here is the problem, I am a high school student applying to a university.

The problem is I do not think my grades will make the cutoff and I need to submit a supplemental application.

I have a few problems.

1. Most of my achievements are really lame; in one section, I put down list of achievements as being a Top Contributor on Yahoo! Answers.

As for voluntary experiences, I worked as a librarian, but I cannot get the librarian to vouch for me because he is uncomfortable with giving out his phone for whatever the reason.

The other achievements I have is that I will be taking 5 heavy load AP Exams in May and I will be concurrently studying Calculus III as a high school student.

What can I do??? In case you are wondering this is University of British Columbia (Canada)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2010 #2
    Re: I cannot find enough referees to vouch for me!! I might not get accepted

Supplemental applications are in general a hard sell. You're safest bet is to apply to other schools with lower cut offs, if you are determined to stay in BC try SFU or UVic they may be easier to get into.

4. Mar 3, 2010 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Can't you ask your teachers for references? They likely know you a little better than you think.

With respect to your job as a librarian, your immediate supervisor doesn't have to give out a personal phone number, and can just list the library's number, which is public anyway. Further, if he or she refuses to act as a reference you can always go one step up and get someone to verify that indeed you did work there and what the nature of your work was.

5. Mar 3, 2010 #4

They say they want referees that can vouch or confirm my words, I guess I can ask another trusty teacher, but he isn't a librarian...

Why are all librarians such jerks?

6. Mar 4, 2010 #5

I don't say this with utmost confidence, but think about how many applications a school gets a year. People will not generally confirm little details like that. For your references, find the people who will write the best about you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook