I cannot find enough referees to vouch for me I might not get accepted

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is a high school student applying to a university, but is concerned about not meeting the academic requirements and needing to submit a supplemental application. However, the individual is struggling to find suitable referees, with most of their achievements being deemed as "lame" and their job as a librarian unable to provide a reference due to privacy concerns. The individual is seeking advice on what to do and is considering asking a teacher for a reference, but is unsure if they will be able to vouch for them effectively.
flyingpig
I cannot find enough referees to vouch for me! I might not get accepted

Here is the problem, I am a high school student applying to a university.

The problem is I do not think my grades will make the cutoff and I need to submit a supplemental application.

I have a few problems.

1. Most of my achievements are really lame; in one section, I put down list of achievements as being a Top Contributor on Yahoo! Answers.

As for voluntary experiences, I worked as a librarian, but I cannot get the librarian to vouch for me because he is uncomfortable with giving out his phone for whatever the reason.

The other achievements I have is that I will be taking 5 heavy load AP Exams in May and I will be concurrently studying Calculus III as a high school student.

What can I do? In case you are wondering this is University of British Columbia (Canada)

Physics news on Phys.org

Supplemental applications are in general a hard sell. You're safest bet is to apply to other schools with lower cut offs, if you are determined to stay in BC try SFU or UVic they may be easier to get into.

Can't you ask your teachers for references? They likely know you a little better than you think.

With respect to your job as a librarian, your immediate supervisor doesn't have to give out a personal phone number, and can just list the library's number, which is public anyway. Further, if he or she refuses to act as a reference you can always go one step up and get someone to verify that indeed you did work there and what the nature of your work was.

Choppy said:
Can't you ask your teachers for references? They likely know you a little better than you think.

With respect to your job as a librarian, your immediate supervisor doesn't have to give out a personal phone number, and can just list the library's number, which is public anyway. Further, if he or she refuses to act as a reference you can always go one step up and get someone to verify that indeed you did work there and what the nature of your work was.

They say they want referees that can vouch or confirm my words, I guess I can ask another trusty teacher, but he isn't a librarian...

Why are all librarians such jerks?

flyingpig said:
They say they want referees that can vouch or confirm my words, I guess I can ask another trusty teacher, but he isn't a librarian...

Why are all librarians such jerks?

I don't say this with utmost confidence, but think about how many applications a school gets a year. People will not generally confirm little details like that. For your references, find the people who will write the best about you.

1. How many referees do I need for my application?

The number of referees required for your application may vary depending on the institution or program you are applying to. It is best to check the specific requirements for your application to determine the exact number of referees needed.

2. What qualifications should my referees have?

Your referees should be individuals who are familiar with your academic or professional work and can speak to your abilities, skills, and character. They should ideally be professors, supervisors, or colleagues who have worked closely with you and can provide a strong recommendation.

3. What if I don't have enough academic or professional references?

If you are struggling to find enough referees, you can consider reaching out to individuals who may not have directly worked with you but can still attest to your qualities and achievements. This could include mentors, coaches, or leaders from extracurricular activities.

4. Can I use personal references instead of academic or professional ones?

It is generally recommended to use academic or professional references for your application, as they can provide a more objective and relevant evaluation of your abilities. However, if you have a strong personal relationship with someone who can speak to your character and accomplishments, you can consider including them as a reference as well.

5. What if I am still struggling to find enough referees?

If you are having difficulty finding enough referees, it may be helpful to reach out to your network and ask for recommendations or introductions to potential referees. You can also consider requesting a reference from a previous employer or instructor who may have lost touch with you but can still speak to your skills and work ethic.