Please prove that dW=-vdP where v is specific volume

In summary, the equation states that the work done by an open system is equal to the difference between the input energy and the output energy.
benny_91

Homework Statement

I came across this equation denoting the work done by an open system (e.g. turbine or compressor). I wonder how they arrived at such an equation.

Homework Equations

Differential form of the steady flow energy equation for an infinitesimally small control volume neglecting kinetic and potential energy changes[/B]
u+pv+dQ-dW-(p+dp).(v+dv)=u+du
du+pdv+vdp=dQ-dW ...(neglecting the term dp.dv)

The Attempt at a Solution

If we use dQ=du+pdv in the above equation we shall get the required equation for work done.
But how can we use this relation of dQ=du+pdv which is valid for close systems having only one kind of work i.e. expansion work.
If you feel the above method is incorrect please provide the appropriate method to prove this relation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure I understand the situation in which you're supposed to compute work. But typically, the work done by a system as it exands is dW = P dV (or the negative of that if you are computing the work done ON the system) In the special case of constant temperature, P V is cconstant, so P dV = - V dP

stevendaryl said:
I am not sure I understand the situation in which you're supposed to compute work. But typically, the work done by a system as it exands is dW = P dV (or the negative of that if you are computing the work done ON the system) In the special case of constant temperature, P V is cconstant, so P dV = - V dP
I believe this equation is true not just for isothermal processes but other open system processes as well.

You are aware that, for an open system, the VdP corresponds to the shaft work in irreversible operation (not the total work), correct? If not, what does the steady state version of the first law reduce to for an open system when the change in kinetic energy and potential energy from inlet to outlet of the control volume are negligible?

Chestermiller said:
You are aware that, for an open system, the VdP corresponds to the shaft work in irreversible operation (not the total work), correct? If not, what does the steady state version of the first law reduce to for an open system when the change in kinetic energy and potential energy from inlet to outlet of the control volume are negligible?
Thanks Chet for replying. If you have a look at the derivation I have posted, you will see that I have done it using the steady state energy equation neglecting changes in kinetic and potential energy. If you can explain to me the proof of this relation or provide any link which shows its derivation I would be very grateful!

benny_91 said:
Thanks Chet for replying. If you have a look at the derivation I have posted, you will see that I have done it using the steady state energy equation neglecting changes in kinetic and potential energy. If you can explain to me the proof of this relation or provide any link which shows its derivation I would be very grateful!
$$dh=dQ-dW_s$$
where all quantities are per unit mass. But,
$$dh=Tds+vdP$$
So,
$$Tds+vdP=dQ-dW_s$$
If the operation is reversible, then ##Tds=dQ##. So, $$dW_s=-vdP$$
This is also derived in Moran, et al, Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics (a wonderful book IMHO).

Chestermiller said:
$$dh=dQ-dW_s$$
$$dh=Tds+vdP$$
So,
$$Tds+vdP=dQ-dW_s$$
This is also derived in Moran, et al, Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics (a wonderful book IMHO).
I shall try to explain where I find the equation difficult to understand. In the 2nd step of the derivation you have stated this equation:
Chestermiller said:
$$dh=dQ-dW_s$$
$$dh=Tds+vdP$$
So,
$$Tds+vdP=dQ-dW_s$$
I shall try to explain where I find the equation difficult to understand. In the 2nd step of the derivation you have stated this equation:
$$dh=Tds+vdP$$
Though I don't know how this equation is actually derived I have given it a try.
Consider a infinitesimally small control volume with properties of the fluid within it denoted by the usual notations. Let the flow be reversible.
Now if we use closed system analysis here we can come up with the following,
$$dQ=du+pdv$$
Adding and subtracting the term vdp in the RHS we get
$$dQ=du+pdv+vdp-vdp$$
$$dQ=d(u+pv)-vdp$$
$$dQ=dh-vdp$$
Now my question is how can we write $$dQ=du+pdv$$ in the first hand. It means that the entire heat that was supplied was utilized in increasing the internal energy of the fluid within the control volume and also to do a closed system kind of work (or simply increase its specific volume by expanding against the pressure within the control volume). But why can't it be possible that some of the heat supplied was utilized for doing the shaft work as well. So why is that not taken into consideration? Thanks in advance!

The equation in question follows from the fundamental relationship between differential changes in internal energy u, entropy s, and volume v between two closely neighboring thermodynamic equilibrium states:
$$du=Tds-Pdv$$

1. What is dW?

dW refers to the differential work done on a system.

2. What is v in this equation?

v represents the specific volume of the system, which is the volume per unit mass of the substance.

3. How is dW related to v and dP?

According to the First Law of Thermodynamics, dW is equal to the negative product of v and dP. This means that as v decreases, dW increases, and vice versa.

4. Why is it important to prove this equation?

This equation is important because it helps to explain the relationship between work, specific volume, and pressure in thermodynamic systems. It also provides a mathematical basis for understanding and predicting the behavior of gases and other substances.

5. How can this equation be applied in real-world situations?

This equation can be applied in various industries, such as chemical engineering and aerospace, to calculate the work done on a system and understand its thermodynamic properties. It is also used in the development of engines and other mechanical systems that rely on the conversion of energy.