Please reply the moment ur eyes read this

In summary, eggs take longer to boil than you would think. Proper way to make hard boiled eggs is to: 1) boil water, 2) turn off all heat, 3) drop egg in with a spoon as to not crack it, 3b) (if room is not warm) cover with lid, 4) go watch tv, 5) return when water is tepid. If you can't make hard boiled eggs, you should attempt soft boiled eggs. There is a real art to making them. Lastly, if you want the yolk to be liquid, but the egg white to be solid, try peeling off your eggs under lukewarm water.
rohanprabhu
how long do eggs [hen's eggs] take to boil? I'm boiling 4 eggs.. fully immersed in water and on high gas.. and since I've already started it.. i need to know how much time will it take to get hard boiled.

please reply as quick as u can.. i'll be refreshing this page now :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Longer.

You can't burn them that I know of, so keep them for over 5 minutes and you'll be set.

thanks for the quick reply... I'm currently 7 minutes in.. think i'll take a look...

My eyes can't read! *cries*

:rofl:

greatest
thread
everanyway. sorry to inform you, but, from the getgo, you're doing it ALL (that's right: italicized, capitalized, emboldened, and underlined) wrong .

Proper way to make hard boiled eggs people:

1) boil water
2) turn off all heat
3) drop egg in with a spoon as to not crack it
3b) (if room is not warm) cover with lid
4) go watch tv
5) return when water is tepid
6) enjoy your first real hard boiled egg. it should not actually be hard like a rock!, it should be nice and soft.

for more tips on eggs (the only thing, other than my famous mystery what-did-I-find-in-the-fridge chili, that I can cook properly), and the various ways to make them properly, I am here to help.

yes. some of you may know your physics and your maths and you biologies etc etc etc., but I know what truly matters: eggs.

Last edited:
rohanprabhu said:
i'm currently 7 minutes in.. think i'll take a look...

O no no no no no no... you poor man.

moe darklight said:
:rofl:

greatest
thread
ever

----
yes. some of you may know your physics and your maths and you biologies etc etc etc., but I know what truly matters: eggs.

lol.. :D

moe darklight said:
O no no no no no no... you poor man.

lol 2 u 2 :D :D

neways.. I'm boiling eggs on this stupid heater.. water didn't come to boil in the first 7 minutes.. i took them off just now.. but they are too hot for me to peel. I'll report the post-peel status soon.

EDIT: everything went of nice.. and for the first time I'm having real hard-boiled eggs. Earlier, everytime i used to break the shell.. yellow liquid would ooze out of the boiled albumen... but this time it was perfect.. thanks to everybody :D

Last edited:
rohanprabhu said:
how long do eggs [hen's eggs] take to boil? I'm boiling 4 eggs.. fully immersed in water and on high gas.. and since I've already started it.. i need to know how much time will it take to get hard boiled.
The flame height has no effect on how long it takes to boil an egg. Water boils at 100C, no matter how much fire you put under it.

Soft-boiled eggs are much better.

Yeah, but if you can't make hard-boiled eggs, you shouldn't attempt soft-boiled ones. There's a real art to those.

You want the yolk to be liquid, but the egg white to be solid. That takes a lot of skill and experience.

Yes, since my grandmother passed away, I haven't eaten properly cooked ones.

Poop-Loops said:
Yeah, but if you can't make hard-boiled eggs, you shouldn't attempt soft-boiled ones. There's a real art to those.

You want the yolk to be liquid, but the egg white to be solid. That takes a lot of skill and experience.

seriously?? that's what i end up making all the time. The only skill in that is the peeling part. The shell is so stuck to the albumen.. it's a real pain to peel it off properly...

rohanprabhu said:
seriously?? that's what i end up making all the time. The only skill in that is the peeling part. The shell is so stuck to the albumen.. it's a real pain to peel it off properly...

Try peeling off your eggs under lukewarm water, it's much easier.

Depending on the intensity of the flame (surrounding the supposed pot your cooking them with)

LOL

Einstienear

If PF adds and eggs sciences subforum, I'll gladly donate my time as an eggs sciences advisor.

With the right tutoring, Rohanprabhu, I can help you through soft boiled eggs, fried eggs with the soft boil yellow thing to dip bread into... someday I might even be able to coach you through poached egg theory, though it is a field in which only very few achieve moving past the theory and truly mastering.

Last edited:
moe darklight said:
If PF adds and eggs sciences subforum, I'll gladly donate my time as an eggs sciences advisor.

With the right tutoring, Rohanprabhu, I can help you through soft boiled eggs, fried eggs with the soft boil yellow thing to dip bread into... someday I might even be able to coach you through poached egg theory, though it is a field in which only very few achieve moving past the theory and truly mastering.

I participated in the construction of one of the early linear egg accelerators, the Yolkotron. But it was highly eggsperimental.

CaptainQuasar said:
I participated in the construction of one of the early linear egg accelerators, the Yolkotron. But it was highly eggsperimental.

:rofl: you are a privileged man! I can only imagine what it must have been like during the early days when we were just first discovering about yolk displacement and super bacon-strip theory, frying-pan curvature... back when everything was new and everything was possible.

moe darklight said:
you are a privileged man! I can only imagine what it must have been like during the early days when we were just first discovering about yolk displacement and super bacon-strip theory, frying-pan curvature... back when everything was new and everything was possible.

Ah, those were heady days. I was working with some very fertile scientific minds. The things we did... you should see my photo albumin from back then. But that was ova and finished decades ago.

u never know what threads can go to on PF...

Right, great thread, amazing eggspressions, It may eggtually qualify for a GD classic.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
The flame height has no effect on how long it takes to boil an egg.
Sure it does. More gas means more heat, which boils the water faster. The trick is to keep the inner dark blue cone of the flame within the area of the receptacle. That's the hottest part.
The absolute perfect egg is made thusly: (This is based upon 3 large eggs, which is all that my little pot will hold.)
Add salt to the eggs.
Run the tap until the water coming out is as hot as possible.
Fill pot with hot water until the eggs are covered by a cm or so of water.
Put burner on as high as it takes to put the inner blue cone just inside the perimeter of the pot bottom. On my stove that was full throttle.
When the water starts to boil, back the flame down the the lowest level to maintain a simmer, put a lid on the pot, and start countdown.
Precisely 7 1/2 minutes later, remove from stove and quench the eggs with cold tap water.

Now that I'm living with W, we have an electric stove. I hate those things. Now I just nuke my eggs for 1 minute (2 eggs; she has me on a diet). They come out just about the same.

edit: I just realized that I missed one hell of a lot of this thread between the time that I started posting and the time that I sent my drunk niece packing so that I could finish.

Last edited:
rohanprabhu said:
If you put salt in your water the shell peels off much easier. Don't know why but it does work. If you place the eggs in the pan before you add water the risk of breaking is much smaller. Here is the method I use for cooking eggs. From the American Egg Board:
"[URL Put the eggs in one layer on the bottom of the pan. Put the pan in the sink. Run water into the pan until the water is 1 inch over the eggs. Put the pan on a burner. Turn it to medium-high heat.
# Let the water come to a boil. Put the lid on the pan when the water is boiling. Move the pan onto a cold burner. Set the timer for 15 minutes for Large-sized eggs (or for 12 minutes for Medium-sized eggs or for 18 minutes for Extra Large-sized eggs).
# Put the pan in the sink when the time is over. Run cold water into the pan until the eggs are cool. Put the eggs into the refrigerator if you're going to use them later or peel them if you're going to use them right away. Be sure to use all the cooked eggs up before a week is over.
# Gently tap a cooled egg on the countertop or table until it has cracks in it. Roll the egg between your hands until the cracks turn into small crackles all over the egg.
# Use your fingers to start peeling off the shell at the large end of the egg. If you need to, you can hold the egg under running cold water or dip it in a bowl of water to make peeling easier. Throw out the pieces of eggshell when the egg is all peeled. You can eat the egg or use it in a recipe when it's peeled[/QUOTE][/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
The instructions larkspur posted are what my mom always did. Works great if you just care about cooked eggs and aren't worried about that ugly green ring around the yolk (it's just aesthetic as far as I can tell, but if you're serving the eggs to other people, it's not very nice looking).

I prefer putting them in cold water (since the eggs are cold from the fridge) with salt added, bring it to a rapid boil over high heat, keep boiling for about 7 min, then take off the heat, put the pan in the sink, and run cold water into it to stop the cooking (and if I'm hungry to eat them soon, which I usually am if I'm craving a hard boiled egg, I will add ice to the water to finish chilling them rapidly). They'll be cooked through, but none of that green layer.

It's amazing how many ways there are to boil an egg! :rofl:

I was always told 11 minutes EXACTLY. The eggs will still cook when you take them out of the pot while they cool to room temperature. If you live in a high altitude it will take longer.

Danger said:
Sure it does. More gas means more heat, which boils the water faster. The trick is to keep the inner dark blue cone of the flame within the area of the receptacle. That's the hottest part.
I didn't say you couldn't boil water faster, I said you couldn't boil an egg faster. Ie:
When the water starts to boil, back the flame down the the lowest level to maintain a simmer
But the OP still had the stove going full throttle while the eggs were in the pot.
rohanprabhu said:
I'm boiling 4 eggs.. fully immersed in water and on high gas..

Last edited:
I have discovered a gasious anomoly lurking with in my Doggy. I fed a hard boiled egg to her, what a mistake. I even asked her "Foxy is that from you"? She just kept pointing to the cats.

Just take the egg uncooked and try to spin it on a countertop. It won't spin, it will wobble and come to a stop. Take that same egg cooked and spin in (on its side), once again. It will spin fast like crazy once the inside is cooked. Bada-bing, bada-boom you're done.

1. What does "Please reply the moment ur eyes read this" mean?

This phrase is a request for an immediate response to the message. It is often used in urgent or time-sensitive situations where a prompt reply is needed.

2. Why is it important to reply quickly?

In some situations, a quick reply is necessary to prevent delays or misunderstandings. It also shows that the sender's message has been received and acknowledged.

3. Is it necessary to reply if I have read the message?

It depends on the context and urgency of the message. If it is an urgent matter or requires a response, it is polite to reply even if you have just read the message.

4. Can I reply later if I am busy?

Yes, you can reply at a later time if you are unable to respond immediately. However, it is recommended to let the sender know that you have received the message and will reply as soon as possible.

5. Is there a specific format or tone for the reply?

There is no specific format, but it is important to use a polite and professional tone in your reply. You can also include a brief explanation for the delay in your response if needed.