1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please suggest alternatives to this Atomic Physics book

1. Dec 8, 2014 #1
    Hi, I am currently taking a course on Atomic and Molecular Physics, and the book for the course is https://www.amazon.com/Atoms-Molecules-Photons-Introduction-Molecular/dp/3642102972. The course is based on this book. The Amazon link will allow one to preview the table of contents.

The school library only has copies of the book in the original German, and I'd appreciate if you could suggest some alternatives based on that. Maybe I'd be able to find them in the library.

Also, I like learning from more than one book.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2014 #2
    The following books would be reasonable alternatives.
    • Bransden B H and Joachain C J, "Physics of atoms and molecules" (Prentice Hall)
    • Haken H and Wolf H C, "The physics of atoms and quanta " (Springer-Verlag)

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Dec 8, 2014 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I concur to Bransden & Joachain, both of their texts (general QM and QM for atoms and molecules) are well-written.

5. Dec 9, 2014 #4
    Ah, Bransden & Joachain is only available for 1 day loans (or to be read in the library). I will certainly take a look at it.

I have, however, found an English version of Haken & Wolf, and have already loaned it.

Thanks all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted