Please verify integral and approximation, boundary theory

In summary, we used Newton's method and Taylor approximations to solve for the velocity of air over a flat plate. The equation involves the third derivative of the velocity, as well as the viscosity and a constant velocity. We then calculated an integral and used a rule to approximate it in MATLAB, making sure to input a specific x value.
fahraynk
I used Newtons method and taylor approximations to solve this equation $$f'''+\frac{m+1}{2}ff''+m(1-f^{'2})=0$$
It solves for velocity of air over a flat plate.
The velocity is a constant ##u_e## everywhere except in a boundary layer over the plate, where the velocity is a function of distance from the plate = u(y).
$$f'=f'(\eta)=\frac{u(y)}{u_e}\\\\\eta=y\sqrt{\frac{u_e}{\nu x}}$$
##\nu## is viscosity.

now that I have f', I need to calculate this integral
$$\int_0^\infty (1-f') dy $$

So my question which I would like help with is, can someone please tell me if the following work is correct :
$$\frac{dy}{d\eta}=\sqrt{\frac{\nu x}{u_e}}\\\\
\int_0^\infty (1-f') dy = \int_0^{\eta_{max}} (1-f') \frac{dy}{d\eta}d\eta = \sqrt{\frac{\nu x}{u_e}}\int_0^{\eta_{max}} (1-f') d\eta$$

##\eta_{max}## is the location where the boundary layer ends, and ##\frac{u}{u_e}=1## when ##\eta \longrightarrow \eta_{max}##, thus the integral becomes 1-1=0 at ##\eta=\eta_{max}##

Also, I am going to use this rule to approximate in MATLAB :
$$\int_A^B G(x) dx = (B-A)G(\frac{A+B}{2})\\\\
K= B-A = f'[2:N+1]-f'[1:N]\\\\
J = f'(\frac{A+B}{2}) = \frac{1}{2}(f'[1:N]+f'{2:N+1})\\\\
G(\frac{A+B}{2}) = ones(N)-J\\\\
\int_A^B G(x) dx = sum( K * (ones(N)-J) )$$
For this to work, I would have to input a specific x value.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
I messed up K, and some other stuff, so to write over the integration :
instead of ##\int G(x)dx=(B-A)G(\frac{A+B}{2})## it should read
$$
\int_A^B G(x)dx
=\sum_{i=1}^{N}

{\frac{(B-A)}{N}G(\frac{A+B}{2})} \implies \int_0^{\infty}(1-f')dy =

sum[\frac{\eta_{max}}{N} * (ones(N)- \frac{1}{2}( f'[1:N]+f'[2:N+1] )]
$$
##\eta_{max}/N## represents B-A, the number of steps in the ##\eta## direction. Ones(N) is a vector length N of 1's. ##Ones(N) =[1,1,1...1_{N-1},1_N]##

Last edited:

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a certain interval.

2. Why is it important to verify integrals?

Verifying integrals is important because it ensures the accuracy of the calculated value. It also allows for the identification of any errors or mistakes in the calculation process.

3. What is approximation in relation to integrals?

Approximation in the context of integrals refers to using numerical methods to estimate the value of an integral. This is often necessary when the integral cannot be solved analytically.

4. What is boundary theory?

Boundary theory is a mathematical concept that deals with the behavior of functions at the boundaries of their domains. It helps to determine the behavior of a function at the edges of the interval over which it is being integrated.

5. How is boundary theory used in integrals and approximations?

Boundary theory is used in integrals and approximations to determine the appropriate boundaries for the integration process. It also helps to ensure that the approximation is accurate at the boundaries of the interval.