How do I properly plot the solar spectrum and handle the flux of Arcturus?

In summary, the conversation is about plotting the solar spectrum from a table of values and the difficulties in resolving the graph due to the large number of data points and possibly the need for normalization. There is also a mention of the possibility of using a smoothing filter to improve the appearance of the graph. The speaker also suggests researching the Ca H and K lines for a better understanding of the spectrum.
AlphaCrucis
TL;DR Summary
I'm to plot the solar spectrum from some data files I'm given and locate and mark on my plot various types of spectral lines
I'm trying to plot the solar spectrum (Wavelength versus Flux) from a table of values I'm given. I'm given 3 columns;

Solar Flux
Arcturus Flux
Wavelength

Plotting Solar Flux versus Wavelength gives me a graph (below) that is very difficult to resolve. There are 21,000 data points as well.
If I'm plotting the solar spectrum however; I'm confused what to do with the flux of Arcturus. Is it a calibration standard?
My plot looks like what is shown below; it is difficult to resolve. Perhaps I need to normalize?

Plot.png
I would like something more like this; (it appears I need to flip my plot as well)

Screenshot (130).png

The F/Fc axis for the second image seems like the flux is normalized to a continuum(?).

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The data looks to be already normalised. I don't think you need do anything with the Arcturus spectra. To see what's going on better increase the length of the x-axis or plot subsections.

Given where they are they look like tha Ca H and K lines which are very complex. You would think need to research these lines and their structure.

Regards Andrew

PS I have replied to two other post of yours but never got a reply. Hint.

Likes pinball1970
andrew s 1905 said:
PS I have replied to two other post of yours but never got a reply. Hint.
Clicking on the user name gives "this user's profile is unavailable". I'm afraid I think that means you won't get a reply to this one either...

Likes andrew s 1905
You could pass a smoothing filter over the spectrum to smooth it a bit if it appears noisy. The features you're interested in will still be apparent and it would probably look a lot more like the examples given.

1. How do I obtain the solar spectrum data for Arcturus?

The solar spectrum data for Arcturus can be obtained from various sources such as astronomical databases or scientific publications. One of the most commonly used sources is the National Solar Observatory's Kitt Peak FTS Atlas, which provides high-resolution spectra for a variety of stars including Arcturus.

2. What is the best method for plotting the solar spectrum of Arcturus?

The most common method for plotting the solar spectrum of Arcturus is to use a graphing software such as Python's Matplotlib or R's ggplot2. These software allow for easy manipulation and customization of the plot, as well as the ability to add labels and annotations for better visualization.

3. How do I handle the flux values in the solar spectrum of Arcturus?

The flux values in the solar spectrum of Arcturus can be handled by converting them to a logarithmic scale. This is because the flux of stars can vary greatly, and using a logarithmic scale allows for a better representation of the data. Additionally, any outliers or extreme values can be removed or adjusted to ensure a more accurate plot.

4. What is the significance of plotting the solar spectrum of Arcturus?

Plotting the solar spectrum of Arcturus allows for a better understanding of the chemical composition and physical properties of the star. It can also provide valuable information about the temperature, luminosity, and other characteristics of the star, which can be used for further research and analysis.

5. Can the solar spectrum of Arcturus be compared to other stars?

Yes, the solar spectrum of Arcturus can be compared to other stars to study the differences and similarities between them. This can provide insights into the evolution and diversity of stars in our universe. However, it is important to note that the comparison should be done with caution, as different stars may have different atmospheric conditions and chemical compositions that can affect their spectra.