1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plummer Sphere, Density from Potential

1. Feb 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It wants me to get the density function of a Plummer sphere from its gravitational potential.

2. Relevant equations
    Plummer sphere potential:

[itex]\Phi (r) = -\frac{GM}{\sqrt{r^{2}+a^{2}}}[/itex]

where phi is the potential as a function of radius from the mass, M. And a is a scale factor of the model. I think I'm just supposed to take M as a constant here.

I am supposed to end up with

[itex]\rho = \frac{3a^{2}}{4\pi}\frac{M}{(r^{2} + a^{2})^{5/2}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So according to Poisson's equation

[itex]\nabla ^{2} \Phi = 4\pi G \rho (x)[/itex]

So to solve for ρ I just took the derivative of Phi twice with respect to r twice and then divided by 4πG

first derivative got me

[itex]2rGM(r^{2} + a^{2})^{-1/2}[/itex]

and then the second derivative got me

[itex]\frac{GM}{2}\left[2(r^{2} + a^{2})^{-3/2} - (r^{2} + a^{2})^{-1/2}\right][/itex]

then after a bit of rearranging I have ended up with

[itex]\frac{M}{8\pi}(r^{2} + a^{2})^{-1/2}(2 - \frac{1}{r^{2} + a^{2}})[/itex]

I'm not really sure if I'm on the right track...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2013 #2
    The Laplacian is not "taking the derivative with respect to r twice". Look up its expression in spherical coordinates (or derive it, if you are not supposed to know).

4. Feb 26, 2013 #3
    ohhh yes you are right, thank you. That explains a lot :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted