Plummer Sphere, Density from Potential

In summary, the task is to find the density function of a Plummer sphere from its gravitational potential, which is given by \Phi (r) = -\frac{GM}{\sqrt{r^{2}+a^{2}}}. The scale factor, a, is taken as a constant. Using Poisson's equation, \nabla ^{2} \Phi = 4\pi G \rho (x), and the expression for the Laplacian in spherical coordinates, the correct solution for the density function is \rho = \frac{3a^{2}}{4\pi}\frac{M}{(r^{2} + a^{2})^{5/2}}. The attempt at a
SHISHKABOB

Homework Statement

It wants me to get the density function of a Plummer sphere from its gravitational potential.

Homework Equations

Plummer sphere potential:

[itex]\Phi (r) = -\frac{GM}{\sqrt{r^{2}+a^{2}}}[/itex]

where phi is the potential as a function of radius from the mass, M. And a is a scale factor of the model. I think I'm just supposed to take M as a constant here.

I am supposed to end up with

[itex]\rho = \frac{3a^{2}}{4\pi}\frac{M}{(r^{2} + a^{2})^{5/2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So according to Poisson's equation

[itex]\nabla ^{2} \Phi = 4\pi G \rho (x)[/itex]

So to solve for ρ I just took the derivative of Phi twice with respect to r twice and then divided by 4πG

first derivative got me

[itex]2rGM(r^{2} + a^{2})^{-1/2}[/itex]

and then the second derivative got me

[itex]\frac{GM}{2}\left[2(r^{2} + a^{2})^{-3/2} - (r^{2} + a^{2})^{-1/2}\right][/itex]

then after a bit of rearranging I have ended up with

[itex]\frac{M}{8\pi}(r^{2} + a^{2})^{-1/2}(2 - \frac{1}{r^{2} + a^{2}})[/itex]

I'm not really sure if I'm on the right track...

Physics news on Phys.org
The Laplacian is not "taking the derivative with respect to r twice". Look up its expression in spherical coordinates (or derive it, if you are not supposed to know).

voko said:
The Laplacian is not "taking the derivative with respect to r twice". Look up its expression in spherical coordinates (or derive it, if you are not supposed to know).

ohhh yes you are right, thank you. That explains a lot :redface:

1. What is a Plummer Sphere?

A Plummer Sphere is a theoretical model used in astrophysics to describe the density distribution of stars in a globular cluster. It is named after astrophysicist H.C. Plummer who first proposed this model in 1911.

2. How is the density of a Plummer Sphere calculated?

The density of a Plummer Sphere is calculated by using the potential energy equation, which takes into account the mass and distance of each star in the cluster. This equation is then used to determine the density at any given point within the cluster.

3. What is the relationship between potential and density in a Plummer Sphere?

In a Plummer Sphere, there is an inverse relationship between potential and density. This means that as the potential energy decreases, the density increases. This is due to the fact that stars closer to the center of the cluster have a higher potential energy and therefore a lower density.

4. What is the significance of studying the density of a Plummer Sphere?

Studying the density of a Plummer Sphere can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of globular clusters. It can also help us understand the dynamics of stars within these clusters and how they interact with each other.

5. How is the Plummer Sphere model used in practical applications?

The Plummer Sphere model is used in simulations and calculations to study the dynamics of stars in globular clusters. It is also used in computer models to simulate the formation and evolution of these clusters. Additionally, the Plummer Sphere model has been used in studies of dark matter and galaxy formation.