PNP Biploar Junction Transistor Energy Band Diagram

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 19K views
asd1249jf

Homework Statement


Consider a PNP Biploar Junction Transistor uniformly doped in each region. Sketch the energy ban ddiagram for the case when the transistor is biased in

a)In thermal equilibrium
b)biased in the active region
c)biased in the cutoff (depletion) region


Homework Equations


None, this is a problem asked to sketch (To an approximate scale) the energy band diagram.


The Attempt at a Solution



I've sketched the first two, but neither my book or the notes contained an example of a PNP Bipolar Junction Transistor's energy band diagram at a cutoff region. can anyone show me a site or include a diagram of this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I registered here specifically because I wanted an answer to this and couldn't find it--until I stumbled on http://www.ece.umn.edu/academics/students/graduate/documents/prelims/Fall_2006/Fall%202006%20-%20Semiconductor%20Devices.pdf PDF. For anyone else who googles this question and comes across this answer--you're welcome.

Backups in case PDF goes down: imgur tinypic postimage pasteboard

Text description: it's a mirror image of the PNP active diagram. There's a small hill at first and then a steep drop until it levels off.

ASCII representation (imagine @ as spaces):

@ -
- @@-
@@@ -
@@@@ - - - -
 
Last edited by a moderator: