Poincare Algebra from Poisson Bracket with KG Action

In summary, the Noether charges of the Poincare Group generate the Poincare Algebra in the Poisson brackets, with 10 generators. The conserved currents for translations and Lorentz transformations are obtained from the Klein-Gordon action, and the Poisson brackets for these currents are calculated. The computation for the Poisson bracket of \{ p^0 , m^{0i} \} shows that it is equal to p^i, except for a term that evaluates to zero.
jfy4

Homework Statement

Consider the Klein-Gordan action. Show that the Noether charges of the Poincare Group generate the Poincare Algebra in the Poisson brackets. There will be 10 generators.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\{ A,B \}=\frac{\delta A}{\delta \phi}\frac{\delta B}{\delta \pi}-\frac{\delta A}{\delta \pi}\frac{\delta B}{\delta \phi}
[/tex]
[tex]
j_{a}^{\mu}=\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)}A_{a}^{\nu}\partial_\nu \phi - A_{a}^{\mu}\mathcal{L}
[/tex]
[tex]
\pi = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_0 \phi)}
[/tex]
[tex]
\Box \phi - m^2 \phi=0
[/tex]
[tex]
Q_a = \int d^3 x j^{0}_{a}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting with the action
[tex]
\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}(\partial_\mu \phi \partial^\mu \phi -m^2 \phi^2)
[/tex]
for the conserved currents for both translations and lorentz transformations I obtain:
[tex]
p^\mu = \int d^3 x (\partial^0 \phi \partial^\mu \phi - g^{0\mu}\mathcal{L})
[/tex]
[tex]
m^{\alpha\beta}=\int d^3 x (\theta^{0\alpha}x^\beta - \theta^{0\beta}x^\alpha)
[/tex]
with
[tex]
\theta^{\alpha\beta}=\partial^\alpha \phi \partial^\beta \phi - g^{\alpha\beta}\mathcal{L}
[/tex]
The for [itex]\{ p^\mu ,p^\nu \}[/itex] I get
[tex]
\frac{\delta p^\mu}{\delta \phi}=g^{0\mu}m^2 \phi \quad\text{and}\quad \frac{\delta p^\mu}{\delta \pi} = \partial^\mu \phi - g^{0\mu}\partial^0 \phi
[/tex]
which gives
[tex]
\begin{align}
\{ p^\mu ,p^\nu \} &= \int d^4 x (g^{0\mu}m^2 \phi)(\partial^\nu \phi - g^{0\nu}\partial^0 \phi)-(\partial^\mu \phi - g^{0\mu}\partial^0 \phi)(g^{0\nu}m^2 \phi) \\
&= \int d^4 x m^2(g^{0\mu} \phi \partial^\nu \phi - \partial^\mu \phi g^{0\nu}\phi) \\
&= \int d^4 x m^2 g^{0\mu}\frac{1}{2} \partial^\nu (\phi^2) - \int d^4 x m^2 g^{0\nu}\frac{1}{2} \partial^\mu (\phi^2) =0
\end{align}
[/tex]
since the field vanishes on the boundary. Now if I have done this right... to compute [itex]\{ p^\mu , m^{\alpha\beta} \}[/itex] I can borrow the momentum stuff, and for the Ms I get
[tex]
\frac{\delta m^{\alpha\beta}}{\delta \pi}=(\partial^\alpha \phi - g^{0\alpha}\partial^0 \phi)x^\beta - (\partial^\beta \phi - g^{0\beta}\partial^0 \phi)x^\alpha
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\frac{\delta m^{\alpha}}{\delta \phi}=g^{0\alpha}m^2 \phi x^\beta - g^{0\beta}m^2 \phi x^\alpha
[/tex]
Now at this point I have tried to compute the poisson bracket of those above guys, however I cannot seem to retrieve the appropriate form... I know I need to get a superpostion of momenta but I can't seem to get the momentum to come back out. The things I have tried range from integration by parts of various terms, to substituting in the the EOM for the [itex]m^2[/itex] term and trying to integrate by parts from that. But no luck as of yet. Could someone give me a solid push in how to manipulate these guys into the correct end form, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
just looking at the term [itex]\{ p^0 , m^{0i} \} [/itex] I get the following
[tex]
\begin{align}
&=\int d^3 x m^2 \phi (-\partial^i \phi x^0) -0 \\
&= -\int d^3 x (m^2 \phi)\partial^i \phi x^0 = -\int d^3 x (\partial_\lambda \partial^\lambda \phi ) \partial^i \phi x^0 \\
&= \int d^3 x \partial^\lambda \phi \partial_\lambda (\partial^i \phi x^0) \\
&= \int d^3 x \partial^\lambda \phi (\partial_\lambda \partial^i \phi)x^0 + \int d^3 x \partial^0 \phi \partial^i \phi \\
&= \text{something}+p^i
\end{align}
[/tex]
which is the desired result except for the "something". Can someone point out why that first term is zero, which it should be. Thanks.

What is the Poincare Algebra?

The Poincare Algebra is a mathematical structure that describes the symmetries of a system with rotational and translational invariance. It is often used in the study of physical systems, particularly in particle physics and quantum field theory.

How is the Poincare Algebra related to the Poisson Bracket?

The Poincare Algebra can be derived from the Poisson Bracket, which is a mathematical operation used to calculate the time evolution of a system. Specifically, the Poincare Algebra is obtained by taking the Poisson Bracket of the Klein-Gordon (KG) Lagrangian with itself.

What is the KG Action in relation to the Poincare Algebra?

The KG Action is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of a scalar field, such as the Higgs field. It is used in the derivation of the Poincare Algebra from the Poisson Bracket, as it represents the Lagrangian of the system.

What are the applications of the Poincare Algebra?

The Poincare Algebra has many applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of particle physics and quantum field theory. It is used to describe the symmetries of physical systems and to calculate their dynamics and interactions.

How is the Poincare Algebra used in practical experiments?

The Poincare Algebra is used in practical experiments to analyze and interpret data, particularly in particle accelerators and high-energy physics experiments. It is also used in theoretical calculations to make predictions about the behavior of physical systems.