1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Point and circle on sphere probability

1. May 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a randomly drawn circle on a sphere, calculate the probability that it will pass within a defined distance of a set point. To make it clear, imagine the example of the the Earth and Mt Everest. What is the probability that a randomly drawn circle will come within, say 3km of Everest?

2. Relevant equations
    Surface area of sphere: 4*pi*r^2
    Circumference of a circle: 2*pi*r

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let the defined distance (3km in above example) be d. I think that you can approximate the probability for relatively small d (say 1/400th the circumference of a sphere) by calculating the ratio of (the surface area of a strip 2*d units high by the circumference of an averaged sized circle on a sphere) to that of (the entire sphere).

I assume that an arbitrarily drawn circle will on average be 1/2 of the great circle circumference of our sphere, or pi*r so the surface area of the strip would be 2*d*pi*r.

This would make the probability 2*d*pi*r/4*pi*r^2 or d/2*r for a ballpark figure?

It seems very straightforward for a good estimate but I want to bounce it off you all.
    Thank you for taking a look.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

My first guess would be the area of a circle of radius d divided by the surface area of the sphere.

4. May 7, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello BG, welcome to PF :smile: !

I have some trouble interpreting your problem statement.
    is it
    (i) randomly drawn circle = circle with randomly chosen radius and randomly chosen center​
    or is it
    (ii) randomly drawn circle = circle with a fixed radius R and randomly chosen center​

The first is rather impossible: there must in all likelihood be an upper limit to this radius.

And even so: your
    " I assume that an arbitrarily drawn circle will on average be 1/2 of the great circle circumference of our sphere, or pi*r so the surface area of the strip would be 2*d*pi*r. "​
    What is this assumption based on ?

Then the criterion: "pass within a defined distance of a set point" .
    Again, there must be an upper limit to d.
    And "within" ? Then why start off with a strip ?

For all I understand, you pick a point, e.g. the North pole. Points within a distance d form a circle with area ##< \pi d^2## (you are on a sphere, remember!).
    In case ii (fixed R) your criterion comes down to: center of circle less than R + d from the North pole. Still pretty complicated, because you are on a sphere.

Just assume that I'm not stupid, but somehow built like a computer: you have to be complete, specific and exact in order to get what you intended.

--

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted