1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Point Charge accelerated by charged ring

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    1. A point charge Q is held in the center of a charged ring. Half of the ring is charged
    uniformly with charge 2Q and the other half with 4Q. When the point charge is released, it
    accelerates toward infinitum. What is the ultimate speed of the point charge?

2. Relevant equations[E=F/q]

3. Don't know where to start. I know that there is a force applied to the charge, but the separation of the ring into halves is confusing me.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2
    The point charge is the same distance from all those charges.

The potential energy of a point charge q near another charge Q at distance r:-kqQ/r

4. Sep 21, 2009 #3
    "The point charge is the same distance from all those charges.

The potential energy of a point charge q near another charge Q at distance r:-kqQ/r "

So in other words I should add up the charges (6Q) and then find the potential energy. Then relate potential energy to kinetic?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook