1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Point in water wave with greatest upwards speed?

Tags:
  1. Aug 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2015-8-8_23-44-4.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I chose D because I thought that since it is at the lowest point on the wave, it will move upwards with the greatest speed. But I'm wrong, since the answer is C. Is the answer C because of some time of acceleration from point D to C? If so, then why is the answer not B instead?

Or the water waves here can be compared to the swinging pendulum, where velocity is greatest at its equilibrium position. I have no trouble understanding the pendulum case but I can't picture the velocity of the water waves at their different positions.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The situation is exactly analogous to the pendulum. At B the water surface is rising the fastest (assuming that the entire wave moves with the given speed). If it helps, you can try drawing the position of the wave just a small time later and see how the surface has moved.

4. Aug 8, 2015 #3
    Errm, so you mean that the speed of water wave is fastest at B, not C?

5. Aug 8, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, sorry, that was a typo.

6. Aug 8, 2015 #5

rcgldr

Homework Helper

If you want to use a pendulum analogy, turn the pendulum sideways. The pendulum comes to a stop at B and D, and is moving fastest at A and C. The question asks for when the water is moving fastest upwards, so the answer is C. The image shows the wave to be shaped like a sin wave.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted