Where is the electric field greatest in magnitude?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
YMMMA
Messages
156
Reaction score
10

Homework Statement


In the file

Homework Equations


No equations needed

The Attempt at a Solution


I answered it C. Since I learned that at the tip there are most of the charges. Therefore, it’s the point of the greatest E field magnitude. But another tutor told me that it is a circle, and because at D its like pulled inside, that’s the point of greatest magnitude. Which of these are correct?
 
Attachments
  • 22F1E420-449D-4407-AFB6-2759475613F0.jpeg
    22F1E420-449D-4407-AFB6-2759475613F0.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 754
Physics news on Phys.org
YMMMA said:

Homework Statement


In the file

Homework Equations


No equations needed

The Attempt at a Solution


I answered it C. Since I learned that at the tip there are most of the charges. Therefore, it’s the point of the greatest E field magnitude. But another tutor told me that it is a circle, and because at D its like pulled inside, that’s the point of greatest magnitude. Which of these are correct?
I believe C is correct, but you should be referring to the equation that would lead you to that conclusion. Can you post the relevant equation? :smile:
 
berkeman said:
I believe C is correct, but you should be referring to the equation that would lead you to that conclusion. Can you post the relevant equation? :smile:
I don’t know which equation you mean. But I guess you mean this
 
Attachments
  • 797EA2A4-806B-4C27-827B-D07841631A3C.png
    797EA2A4-806B-4C27-827B-D07841631A3C.png
    900 bytes · Views: 444
YMMMA said:
I don’t know which equation you mean. But I guess you mean this
No, it's a vector equation involving the charge density and a property of the electric field...

Do some searching, and if you still have trouble finding it, you can click on the Spoiler below...

Look for the Differential form of Gauss' Law...
 
berkeman said:
No, it's a vector equation involving the charge density and a property of the electric field...

Do some searching, and if you still have trouble finding it, you can click on the Spoiler below...

Look for the Differential form of Gauss' Law...
I looked for this rule, but I don’t understand why would I use a rule to answer the question? Is it because it is more dense at the tip, so greater electric field?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman