Point Where Electric Field=0 (3 point charges on x-axis)

In summary, point charges of -7 µC, 1.0 µC, and +7 µC are located along the x-axis at x = -1.0 cm, x = 0, and x = +1.0 cm, respectively. The goal is to locate a point on the positive x-axis where the magnitude of the electric field is zero. Using the equation E=0=-(7e-6/(x+1)^2)+(1e-6/(x^2))-(7e-6/(1-x)^2), we can isolate the x by multiplying out the exponents and rearranging the problem. However, after putting the equation over a common denominator and taking just the numerator, it
lola748

Homework Statement

Point charges of -7 µC, 1.0 µC, and +7 µC are located along the x-axis at x = -1.0 cm, x = 0, and x = +1.0 cm, respectively. Locate a point on the positive x-axis where the magnitude of the electric field is zero.

Homework Equations

E=(kQ)/r^2
E(total)=E(1)+E(2)+E(3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I have the correct setup of the equation and just wanted to confirm:

E=0=-(7e-6/(x+1)^2)+(1e-6/(x^2))-(7e-6/(1-x)^2)

From this point I'm not really sure on how to proceed with solving for x.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to isolate the x, so you should multiply out the exponent and rearrange the problem in order to use the quadratic equation.

Edit: Actually don't isolate the x, just multiply the exponents out and group the similar exponents out.

Edit 2: Hmm, its not working for me, disregard post

Last edited:
Tip: When you're looking for zeros, you can discard all the common constants (same as setting your equation to zero and dividing both sides by the common constants). So your equation then looks like:

$$0 = \frac{-7}{(1 + x)^2} + \frac{1}{x^2} + \frac{-7}{(1 - x)^2}$$

Putting that over a common denominator and taking just the numerator yields a function that doesn't look promising for having positive real roots.

Edit: I take that back! I made a silly sign error on the last term (now fixed). There is a root betwixt 0 and 1.

Last edited:
Aaaaah I see, Thank you!

Can you help me out?

As a scientist, my response would be:

You have correctly set up the equation for the electric field at a point on the positive x-axis due to the three point charges. However, in order to solve for the point where the electric field is zero, you will need to use the principle of superposition and set the total electric field equal to zero. This means that the sum of the electric fields due to each individual charge must equal zero. You can then solve for x by rearranging the equation and using algebraic techniques. It may be helpful to plot the electric field as a function of x and visually determine where the electric field is zero.

1. What is the significance of the point where electric field=0 in a system with 3 point charges on the x-axis?

The point where electric field=0 in a system with 3 point charges on the x-axis is known as the neutral point. This is the point where the net electric field due to the 3 charges is equal to zero. It is an important point because it represents a balance between the attractive and repulsive forces of the charges, and can help us understand the overall behavior of the system.

2. How is the location of the neutral point affected by the magnitudes and positions of the 3 point charges?

The location of the neutral point is affected by both the magnitudes and positions of the 3 point charges. Generally, if the charges are of equal magnitude and equally spaced on the x-axis, the neutral point will be located at the midpoint between the 2 outer charges. However, if the magnitudes or positions of the charges are different, the neutral point will shift accordingly.

3. Can the neutral point exist in a system with 3 point charges on the x-axis if the charges have the same magnitude but opposite signs?

Yes, the neutral point can still exist in a system with 3 point charges on the x-axis even if the charges have the same magnitude but opposite signs. In this case, the neutral point will be located at the point where the electric field due to the positive and negative charges cancel out, resulting in a net electric field of zero.

4. How can the electric field at the neutral point be calculated?

The electric field at the neutral point can be calculated by using the principles of vector addition. The individual electric fields due to each charge can be calculated using Coulomb's law, and then added together to determine the net electric field at the neutral point. Alternatively, the electric field at the neutral point can also be calculated using the superposition principle, which states that the net electric field at a point is equal to the sum of the electric fields due to each individual charge.

5. What implications does the existence of a neutral point have for the overall behavior of the system?

The existence of a neutral point in a system with 3 point charges on the x-axis indicates that there is a balance between the attractive and repulsive forces of the charges. The behavior of the system will depend on the positions of the charges relative to the neutral point. If the charges are located closer to the neutral point, the system will be more stable, while if the charges are located further away, the system will be more unstable and may exhibit oscillatory behavior.