Points of maximum curvature on y=e^x and xy=1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Giuseppe
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Hello, I just learned how to do these types of problems, but I'm having trouble. Can some one direct me through this problem?

Find the point or points on the curve which the curvature is a maximum for

a. y=ex
b. xy=1

any help is greatly appreciated. I really am stuck here!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Giuseppe said:
Hello, I just learned how to do these types of problems, but I'm having trouble. Can some one direct me through this problem?

Find the point or points on the curve which the curvature is a maximum for

a. y=ex
b. xy=1

any help is greatly appreciated. I really am stuck here!

Is that ex or ex?

Do you know the formula for curvature? If so, find the curvature of each, then optimize it! If not, then that is what you should look up first :smile:

By the way, like I have mentioned a few times here:

[tex]\kappa=\frac{|\mathbf{r}'\times\mathbf{r}''|}{|\mathbf{r}'|^3}[/tex]

You can use r = (x)i + (ex)j for the first, and the second is similar (I think you can see what it will be).
 
Last edited:
ah , i think i got it. thanks, i was being stupid