1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson Bracket for 1 space dimension field

1. Jan 23, 2013 #1
    Hi,

Suppose you have a collection of fields [itex]\phi^i (t,x)[/itex] depending on time and on 1 space variable, for [itex]i=1,...,N[/itex]. Its dynamics is defined by the Lagrangian

[itex]L=\frac{1}{2} g_{ij}(\phi) (\dot{\phi}^i \dot{\phi}^j - \phi ' ^i \phi ' ^j ) + b_{ij}(\phi) \dot{\phi}^i \phi ' ^j [/itex]

where [itex]\dot{\phi}^i [/itex] denotes the time derivative of the field [itex]{\phi}^i [/itex] and [itex]\phi ' ^i [/itex] denotes its space derivative, and where [itex]g_{ij}(\phi) [/itex] is a symmetric tensor, and [itex]b_{ij}(\phi) [/itex] an antisymmetric tensor.

One easily computes that the momenta conjugate to the fields [itex]\phi^i (t,x)[/itex] are [itex]\pi_i = A_i + b_{ij} \phi ' ^j[/itex], where [itex]A_i = g_{ij} \dot{\phi}^j [/itex].

Now I would like to show that the (equal time) Poisson Bracket [itex]\{A_i,A_j\}[/itex] is
    [itex]\{A_i(t,x),A_j(t,y)\}=(\partial_i b_{jk} + \partial_j b_{ki} + \partial_k b_{ij} ) \phi ' ^k \delta(x-y)[/itex]
    using the canonical relation [itex]\{\phi ^i(t,x) , \pi_j (t,y)\}=\delta_j^i \delta(x-y)[/itex].

I tried to write [itex]A_i = \pi_i - b_{ij} \phi ' ^j[/itex], and then use [itex]\{\phi ' ^i(t,x) , \pi_j (t,y)\}=\delta_j^i \delta ' (x-y)[/itex]. But then I can't get rid of the [itex]\delta ' [/itex], and I don't get the [itex]\partial_k b_{ij} [/itex] term.

Am I mistaken somewhere ? Thank you in advance !

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2013 #2
    OK I found the answer. To get rid of the derivatives of Dirac deltas, I used the identity [itex]f(x) \delta ' (x-y) = f(y) \delta ' (x-y) - f'(x) \delta (x-y)[/itex] which follows from the convolution between delta and [itex](f \times \varphi)'[/itex] ([itex]\varphi[/itex] is a test function).
    This also produces the remaining wanted term.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook