Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson brackets for Hamiltonian descriptions

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1

haushofer

Science Advisor

Hi, I have a (maybe rather technical) question about the Hamiltonian formulation of gauge theories, which I don't get.

With an infinitesimal symmetry on your space-time M one can look at the corresponding transformation of the canonical variables in phase-space PS. This can be done by a phase space function H[]:M --> PS. The generators of these symmetries give you global charges.

If I generate my symmetry with a vector field [itex]\xi[/itex] or [itex]\alpha [/itex], the statement which is often made is that

[tex]
    \{H[\xi],H[\alpha] \} = H [[\xi,\alpha]]
    [/tex]

In words: the Poisson algebra {} of the charges (LHS) is isomorphic (=) to the Lie algebra of the corresponding symmetries on your space-time (RHS).

My question is: why is this so natural to assume? Henneaux and Brown wrote an article about the details and adjustments of this assumption (central charges in the canonical realization...), but I don't see why this should be "natural" in the first place. I'm missing something here.

Thanks in forward :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2009 #2

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

I hope, I have uderstood your question correctly!

In the real life, we use Noether procedure to write [itex]H_{\alpha}[/itex] in terms of the dynamical variables on PS:

[tex]H_{\alpha} = \int dx \pi \mathcal{L}_{\alpha} \phi \ \ \ (R)[/tex]

where [itex]\mathcal{L}_{\alpha}[/itex] is Lie derivative along the vector field [itex]\alpha[/itex].
    It follows immediately from eq(R) that

1) canonical transformations generated by the charge/constraint correspond precisely to the diffeomorphisms generated by the vector field [itex]\alpha[/itex] ,i.e.,

[tex]
    \{ H_{\alpha} , \phi \} = \mathcal{L}_{\alpha} \phi, \ \ \mbox{etc.} \ (1)
    [/tex]

2) charges/constraints satisfy the algebra

[tex]\{ H_{\alpha}, H_{\xi} \} = H_{[\alpha , \xi ]} \ \ \ (2)[/tex]

To confirm the consistency between eq{1) and eq(2), we use the Jacobi identity

[tex]\{ \{ H_{\alpha} , H_{\xi} \} , \phi \} = \{\{H_{\alpha}, \phi\} , H_{\xi} \} - \{\{H_{\xi} , \phi \} , H_{\alpha} \}[/tex]

This gives

[tex]\{\{H_{\alpha} , H_{\xi} \} , \phi \} = \mathcal{L}_{\alpha} \mathcal{L}_{\xi} \phi - \mathcal{L}_{\xi}\mathcal{L}_{\alpha} \phi = \mathcal{L}_{[\alpha , \xi ]} \phi[/tex]

However, the algebra of constraints is not, in general, a proper Lie algebra: the RHS of eq(2) may contain structure functions rather than structure constants. This means, in the BRST terminology, that we may have an open algebra. Indeed, it has been shown [Bargmann and Komar] that the algebra of constraints is not isomorphic to the Lie algebra of the "gauge group" of tetrad-gravity.

Ok, here is a math question for you:

Given two function [itex] f,g : PS \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex], their Poisson bracket is defined by

[tex]\{ f , g \} = \mathcal{L}_{X_{f}}g = - \mathcal{L}_{X_{g}}f[/tex]

this means that PB turns the vector space of functions on PS into Lie algebra. Use this Lie-bracket to show that the linear map [itex] f \rightarrow X_{f}[/itex] (which associates to f its (Hamiltonian) vector field) takes Poisson brackets of functions into commutators of vector fields:

[tex][X_{f} , X_{g}] = X_{\{f,g\}} \ \ (3)[/tex]

compair this with eq(2).

regards

sam

4. Feb 9, 2009 #3

haushofer

Science Advisor

A, nice! I will look at this tomorrow! Sam to the rescue, again :D

5. Feb 11, 2009 #4

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

It is a pleasure, very time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook