Poisson brackets in general relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Poisson brackets in discrete and field theories. It also touches on the fundamental variables in general relativity and their corresponding Poisson brackets. The main question is about the delta function in the Poisson bracket for the metric tensor. The answer is that it is equal to half of the sum of two delta functions with different indices to account for the symmetry of the metric tensor. The conversation also mentions the general case for arbitrary tensors.
shoehorn
Hi. I've been wondering about the following and haven't made much progress on it. To set the scene, consider the following. Suppose that we have some sort of discrete theory in which the phase space variables are [tex]q^i[/tex] and [tex]p_i[/tex]. If we have some functions [tex]F(q,p)[/tex] and [tex]G(q,p)[/tex] we can define their Poisson bracket as

[tex]\{F,G\} = \sum_i\left( \frac{\partial F}{\partial q^i}\frac{\partial G}{\partial p_i} - \frac{\partial F}{\partial p_i}\frac{\partial G}{\partial q^i}\right)
[/tex]

Then, for example, we have the following fundamental Poisson brackets

[tex]
\{q^i,p_j\} = \delta^i_{\phantom{i}j},
\{q^i,q^j\} = \{p_i,p_j\} = 0.
[/tex]

Now suppose that we go to a field theory in which the fundamental `variables' are the position-dependent [tex]q^i(\vec{x})[/tex] and [tex]\pi_j(\vec{x})[/tex]. The Poisson brackets of two functionals [tex]F(q,\pi)[/tex] and [tex]G(q,\pi)[/tex] are then

[tex]\{F,G\} \equiv \sum_i \int_\mathcal{M} dv \left( \frac{\delta F}{\delta q^i}\frac{\delta G}{\delta \pi_i} - \frac{\delta F}{\delta \pi_i}\frac{\delta G}{\delta q^i}\right).[/tex]

With this definition we obtain

[tex]\{q^i(\vec{x}),\pi_j(\vec{x}')\} = \delta^i_{\phantom{i}j}\delta(\vec{x}-\vec{x}'),
\{q^i(\vec{x}),q^j(\vec{x}')\} = \{\pi_i(\vec{x}),\pi_j(\vec{x}')\} = 0.[/tex]

That's all fine and good. But, in the Hamiltonian version of general relativity the fundamental variables are actually the three-dimensional metric [tex]g_{ij}(\vec{x})[/tex] and [tex]\pi^{ij}(\vec{x})[/tex], both of which are symmetric tensors. I can define the Poisson brackets for these variables easily as

[tex]
\{F,G\} \equiv \int_\mathcal{M}\left( \frac{\delta F}{\delta g_{ij}}\frac{\delta G}{\delta \pi^{ij}} - \frac{\delta F}{\delta\pi^{ij}}\frac{\delta G}{\delta g_{ij}}\right).
[/tex]

My question is this: what exactly is

[tex]\frac{\delta g_{ij}}{\delta g_{kl}}?[/tex]

I assume that it's not something simple like [tex]\delta^i_k\delta^j_l[/tex] and that it has to reflect the symmetry of the metric tensor, but I can't seem to figure it out. Since I can't figure it out, neither can I work out explicitly what the fundamental Poisson brackets for GR should be.

Can anyone shed some light on this? An immediate extension that springs to mind is the general case of the above, i.e., if [tex]T^{a_1\ldots a_r}[/tex] is some arbitrary (r,0) tensor then what is

[tex]\frac{\delta T^{a_1\ldots a_r}}{\delta T^{b_1\ldots b_r}}[/tex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shoehorn said:
My question is this: what exactly is

[tex]\frac{\delta g_{ij}}{\delta g_{kl}}?[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(\delta^k_i\delta^l_j + \delta^l_i\delta^k_j)[/tex]

sam

The Poisson bracket is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics, but it can also be extended to field theories, including general relativity. In general relativity, the phase space variables are the metric tensor g_{ij} and its conjugate momentum \pi^{ij}. The Poisson brackets for these variables can be defined in a similar way as in the discrete theory, but there are some additional considerations due to the symmetry of the metric tensor.

To understand the Poisson brackets in general relativity, we first need to understand the functional derivatives involved. In the discrete theory, the functional derivatives are simply partial derivatives with respect to the phase space variables q^i and p_i. However, in the field theory, these derivatives become functional derivatives, which are defined as follows:

\frac{\delta F}{\delta q^i} = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \frac{F(q^i + \epsilon \delta^i, p_i) - F(q^i, p_i)}{\epsilon}

where \delta^i is a small variation in the variable q^i. In general relativity, this variation is not just a small change in the metric tensor, but it must also preserve the symmetry of the tensor. This means that the variation \delta^i must satisfy the following condition:

\delta^i_{\phantom{i}j} = \delta^j_{\phantom{j}i}

This condition ensures that the variation preserves the symmetry of the metric tensor. With this in mind, we can now define the Poisson brackets for general relativity as:

\{F,G\} \equiv \int_\mathcal{M}\left( \frac{\delta F}{\delta g_{ij}}\frac{\delta G}{\delta \pi^{ij}} - \frac{\delta F}{\delta\pi^{ij}}\frac{\delta G}{\delta g_{ij}}\right)

where the functional derivatives are now defined with the appropriate variation that preserves the symmetry of the metric tensor. This ensures that the Poisson brackets satisfy the correct symmetry properties.

To answer your question about \frac{\delta g_{ij}}{\delta g_{kl}}, it is not a simple expression like \delta^i_k\delta^j_l. Instead, it is a more complicated expression that involves the variation of the metric tensor and its derivatives. It can be derived using the definition of the functional

1. What are Poisson brackets in general relativity?

Poisson brackets are a mathematical tool used in general relativity to quantify the relationship between two physical quantities. They are an extension of the classical Poisson brackets used in Hamiltonian mechanics, but are adapted to the curved spacetime of general relativity.

2. How are Poisson brackets used in general relativity?

Poisson brackets are used to calculate the equations of motion in general relativity, similar to how they are used in Hamiltonian mechanics. They can also be used to study the symmetries and conservation laws of a given system.

3. What is the significance of Poisson brackets in general relativity?

Poisson brackets are significant in general relativity because they provide a way to quantitatively analyze the dynamics of a system in curved spacetime. They also help to uncover important physical relationships and symmetries within a system.

4. Are there any limitations to using Poisson brackets in general relativity?

One limitation of using Poisson brackets in general relativity is that they can only be applied to systems with a finite number of degrees of freedom. This means that they are not well-suited for studying systems with an infinite number of particles, such as a continuous fluid or a field theory.

5. How do Poisson brackets relate to other mathematical tools in general relativity?

Poisson brackets are closely related to other mathematical tools used in general relativity, such as the Hamiltonian and the Lagrangian. They are also connected to the concept of symplectic geometry, which provides a deeper understanding of the geometric structure of spacetime.