1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson's equation in 2 dimensions

1. Oct 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If we lived in a world with 2 spatial dimensions, would the solution to Poisson's equation for a singular charge be the same i.e. would it be 1/r radial dependence?
    I am doing a computer simulation and if I take out the third dimension, the results are manifestly different.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would be manifestly different. Look at Gauss's law for flux integral vs source charge. In two dimensions, it's a log.

4. Oct 14, 2007 #3
    Sorry. Could you explain that more.

In 3 dimensions, Gauss's law says that the flux of E through a surface around a charge q is given by

[tex] \int _{S} \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{a} = \frac{q}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]

In two dimensions, it is just over a closed path instead of circle and you replace the da by a d(normal vector to the curve) or something.

What are you saying is a log in two dimensions?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  5. Oct 14, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 1/r dependence in 3d is for the potential U. In your 2d example you can conclude that (take a circle for the curve) E*length of curve is proportional to charge. So E is proportional to 1/r. But E=-dU/dr. So U must be like log(r).

6. Oct 14, 2007 #5
    But then the potential is infinity at infinity? I think maybe Gauss's law would be different in 2 dimensions.

7. Oct 14, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. If you integrate a 1/r force from something to infinity, it diverges. Try one dimension as well. The force is a constant independent of distance. Potential is a linear function of r. Also infinite at infinity. Remind you of anything?

8. Oct 14, 2007 #7
    Not really.

But try inserting ln( sqrt(x^2 +y^2)) into the two dimensional poisson equation i.e. the gradient only has two components. I get 1/sqrt(x^2 + y^2) = rho/epsilon_0, which is not a solution.

But I just tried the 3 dimensional solution U = 1/sqrt(x^2 +y^2 +z^2) and I get 0 = rho/epsilon_0 .

So, what could be wrong? Now I am really confused. I am using a point charge at 0, so the RHS of Poisson's equation should be a delta function?

9. Oct 14, 2007 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should get 0 in both cases. Your source is only at the origin so the laplacian is correctly giving you the charge density=0, at the origin it's singular. To test that your solution is a delta function you have to integrate it against a test function and use integration by parts.

10. Oct 14, 2007 #9
    Aha, I see now.

In my model, I was putting the charge in a square with a boundary condition that the sides of the square have a potential of 0. In 3 dimensions it made sense to make the sides of the box around the charge zero as an approximation of infinity, but in 2 dimensions that breaks down apparently. I am not really sure how you would make an accurate numerical model of the potential in two dimensions then since I can't have a boundary condition of infinity.

Maybe I need to use Neumann boundary conditions or something.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?