Police Shoot Man Over 40 Times

• News
  • Thread starter Maui
  • Start date
In summary, The police shot 46 times an agitated man with a knife standing 20 feet from them. Sounds rather excessive and like vendetta to me. What do you think?
Hurkyl said:
The presence of human shields makes for a very different scenario.

Nobody said a word about "human shields." Bullets can travel pretty far and can ricochet.

Physics news on Phys.org
People hear 20 feet, knife, and think "Ok that's a safe distance, he wasn't a threat!" To those people, I ask you to get a fake gun, holster it, have someone stand 20 feet away, sprint towards you. See how long it takes you to pull it out and fire and hope for a good hit. Imagine doing that with your heart racing.

I know from personal experience how quickly a person can close on a target. I've seen people get hit by m4 rounds and still move as if nothing hit him.

However, I will say this. It's hard to justify shooting that many rounds and so wildly. I don't particularly care if that is how an officer is trained or not. I do believe that this could've been handled better, but I wasn't there so I won't state it like a fact.

Jack21222 said:
Nobody said a word about "human shields." Bullets can travel pretty far and can ricochet.

I'm using "shield" in the "If you shoot at this guy, you'll hit other people" sense, not the "There are people physically interposed between him and you" sense.

And when they saw what they had done, they shot another 41.

Hurkyl said:
I'm using "shield" in the "If you shoot at this guy, you'll hit other people" sense, not the "There are people physically interposed between him and you" sense.

This happened in a parking lot with people close enough to take a cell phone video of it, and the officers only hit their target less than 25% of the time.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying they shouldn't have shot. I just think they shouldn't have used the "spray and pray" method. With my little training (half a dozen times at a range, but that's it), I'm pretty sure I could hit a target more than a quarter of a time at 20 feet (provided I only fired 4 shots, and not 8 like these officers.) These guys have gone through an official training program, surely they can be more accurate.

Jack21222 said:
This happened in a parking lot with people close enough to take a cell phone video of it, and the officers only hit their target less than 25% of the time.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying they shouldn't have shot. I just think they shouldn't have used the "spray and pray" method. With my little training (half a dozen times at a range, but that's it), I'm pretty sure I could hit a target more than a quarter of a time at 20 feet (provided I only fired 4 shots, and not 8 like these officers.) These guys have gone through an official training program, surely they can be more accurate.
A stationary target, in a controlled situation, that is not a live human being. And you only mention hitting the target, not stopping it.

Policemen in this country are scum. Scum and then some.

The title of this thread should be "Police shoot AT a man over 40 times." Very different. I have a Glock Model 20 chambered for 10mm Auto. It was supposed to be the "equalizer" for police departments, except most cops couldn't qualify on the range with it. The gun-rags at the time blamed it on a higher percentage of women and foreigners on the forces, saying that their "smaller hands" wouldn't let them handle the recoil. That is a fake argument. I have pretty small hands, and can handle a 10mm Auto much better than some bigger guys that have tried it.

Jack21222 said:
I'm pretty sure I could hit a target more than a quarter of a time at 20 feet (provided I only fired 4 shots, and not 8 like these officers.) These guys have gone through an official training program, surely they can be more accurate.

No you couldn't.
Again, there is HUGE difference between shooting at targets, and shooting at a person who you believe is about to atack -and possibly hurt/kill - you.

Even extremelly well trained soldiers have VERY bad hit/miss ratios under such circumstances. It takes lots and lots of training and experience before someone can be expected to react "well" in a real situation.

f95toli said:
No you couldn't.
Again, there is HUGE difference between shooting at targets, and shooting at a person who you believe is about to atack -and possibly hurt/kill - you.

Do you speak from personal experience? My apartment is 20 feet across, and it looks like it would be quite easy to hit somebody on the other side. I don't see why believing my target is about to attack me would make me less accurate. I mean, maybe if you had a source or something I could look at... it just doesn't make sense to me intuitively why it should matter, particularly if the guy was coming at me. Now, if he was doing all kind of sideways ninja flips or something, I can see how it would be more difficult to hit him, but if he were standing still or coming towards me, it seems easier.

Maui said:
The least they could do was aim at the legs, but 46 shots in cold blood?

Shooting at the legs is difficult and can still kill people. What you see in movies isn't real, don't for a second think it is.

leroyjenkens said:
If you fire twice and the suspect is on the ground not moving, why would you fire 10+ more shots?

The fact that they are on the ground and not moving does not mean they are not a threat, far from it in fact.

russ_watters said:
While I would generally agree, that doesn't address the issue of bystanders. In this case, police shot nine bystanders to take down one gun-wielding man

Police cannot win in this situation. If they don't shoot and somebody gets killed they get accused of not doing enough to stop it and if they do shoot and hit bystanders people complain about how poorly they did. It isn't that simple.

edward said:
Back on Topic. With six officers why no taser or rubber bullets?

Were they being carried? A Taser is not quite as effective as a lot of people seem to believe. They can and do fail which is why here in Scotland Taser trained officers are generally deployed in pairs. If the Taser misfires or the officer misses the other officer can cover them. Hitting a target at 20 feet with a Taser is very difficult.

edward said:
That doesn't explain why it was necessary for police to open fire when there was no hostage.

This type of incident is happening all to often. Six police officers left their common sense at home.

So you'd stand about and let yourself get stabbed? I don't believe that for one second.

Jack21222 said:
Do you speak from personal experience? My apartment is 20 feet across, and it looks like it would be quite easy to hit somebody on the other side. I don't see why believing my target is about to attack me would make me less accurate. I mean, maybe if you had a source or something I could look at... it just doesn't make sense to me intuitively why it should matter, particularly if the guy was coming at me. Now, if he was doing all kind of sideways ninja flips or something, I can see how it would be more difficult to hit him, but if he were standing still or coming towards me, it seems easier.

What are the three fundamentals to shooting?
  1. Steady Breathing
  2. Steady Position
  3. Trigger Squeeze

I am very confident that you believe you could shoot at someone running at you and hit the person 25% of the time. I am not confident that you could. I shoot 40/40 nearly every time at a shooting range in the military, I'll be damn if I actually ever hit someone at 30 meters. Heck, hard enough to do it while in the same room. Something about heart racing, quick breathing, and holding the weapon tighter than usual messing with those fundamentals...but meh what do I know.

Marne as a fellow soldier who has had the unfortunate opportunity to have fired my weapon in combat I can confirm that I have no idea weather or not I actually hit somebody. There are several reasons
1) 5.56mm ammo does not instantly put a target down even when already dead they can stay up long enough to fire another half dozen shots.

2) You are amped up and unless it is a long range shot you are not establishing a stable and consistent sight picture anything under 75-100 feet or so is typically reflex firing relying on muscle memory and experience to put shots on target rather then an truly aimed volley unless of course you are shooting at somebody who does not know you are aiming at them.

3) Many shots many hit nobody knows who hit or missed but 25% hit ratio would be well above normal.

I remember this clearly from the televised February 2000 trial of four New York City police officers charged in the February 1999 shooting of Amadou Diallo. I watched the whole trial live on Court TV. When each of the police were on the witness stand, the lawyers asked them why they didn't stop shooting after the suspect was already down, why did they go on to fire 41 bullets, 19 of which hit the suspect. The police explained that their rule book didn't allow them to stop shooting. They said that they were required to follow a rule that one you shoot a person you have to continue shooting him until your gun is empty.

TheMadMonk said:
Were they being carried? A Taser is not quite as effective as a lot of people seem to believe. They can and do fail which is why here in Scotland Taser trained officers are generally deployed in pairs. If the Taser misfires or the officer misses the other officer can cover them. Hitting a target at 20 feet with a Taser is very difficult.

So you'd stand about and let yourself get stabbed? I don't believe that for one second.

Watch the video again in full screen mode. The man was moving away when they opened fire.

The tasers carried by police in the USA are rated for up to 35 ft. Civilian versions only 20ft.

http://www.taser.com/products/law-enforcement/taser-x26-ecd

Last edited by a moderator:
mikelepore said:
I remember this clearly from the televised February 2000 trial of four New York City police officers charged in the February 1999 shooting of Amadou Diallo. I watched the whole trial live on Court TV. When each of the police were on the witness stand, the lawyers asked them why they didn't stop shooting after the suspect was already down, why did they go on to fire 41 bullets, 19 of which hit the suspect. The police explained that their rule book didn't allow them to stop shooting. They said that they were required to follow a rule that one you shoot a person you have to continue shooting him until your gun is empty.

I wonder what their rule book says to do when all four officers are holding empty weapons and bad guys number two and three suddenly appear?

edward said:
Watch the video again in full screen mode. The man was moving away when they opened fire.

The tasers carried by police in the USA are rated for up to 35 ft. Civilian versions only 20ft.

http://www.taser.com/products/military/taser-x26-ecd

Looks to me like there were officers off to the left (his right) in the direction he started moving. You can see somebody step back as the red pickup truck comes into view around 1:02. Six officers involved, can only count five lined up so where is the sixth (which I assume is the one with the dog)? Watch it again and tell me if you see the same.

Got a few questions for you. Have you ever fired a Taser? Do you think you could hit a moving target at that sort of range? Were they even carrying Tasers? What would you have done?

I'm astounded in all honesty that anybody would think that shooting somebody armed with a knife is unacceptable. It wasn't as if the man was skipping along minding his own business when officers decided to kill him for kicks. May come as a shock to the squeamish amongst you but police officers sometimes have to do not so nice things so that you can sleep soundly in your bed at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheMadMonk said:
I'm astounded in all honesty that anybody would think that shooting somebody armed with a knife is unacceptable.
It's understandable, I think. The idea of killing somebody is a very unpleasant one: people don't like it, or the idea that it could be the right course of action.

But few are so bold as to say flat out that you shouldn't kill people, even someone charging at you with a knife: instead, they grudgingly admit that you have to allow that it's sometimes acceptable.

But they don't really want to mentally commit to that idea: after all, it's an extremely unpleasant one. Rather than contemplate what it really means to stop someone with lethal force, it's so much nicer sounding to say that "okay, so you have to use violence... just don't use so much of it!" It's an empty comment, but it let's you stop thinking about such an unpleasant idea, and makes one sound like an enlightened, civilized person to boot.

It's a well-meaning idea, but an ultimately dangerous one, since it leads to villainizing those who would seriously weigh the costs and benefits of lethal force, and also those who would act appropriately when said action doesn't line up with the romanticized version seen in the movies.

That is definitely too excessive. Taser him, not shoot him.

What are the qualifications to become a police officer?

Mentalist said:
That is definitely too excessive. Taser him, not shoot him.

What are the qualifications to become a police officer?

Look up a local department and see.

I did look up the qualifications and the base requirements are an associates degree. In my lifetime I noticed that the easier of entry the lack of quality.

Mentalist said:
I did look up the qualifications and the base requirements are an associates degree. In my lifetime I noticed that the easier of entry the lack of quality.

Surely there are other qualifications such as not being a felon?
Honestly though, what did you expect the education qualifications to be for a police officer?

A high school diploma.

Mentalist said:
A high school diploma.

Excellent, then they are exceeding your expectations!

That still isn't what I'd consider, quality education.

There needs to be more stringent qualifications. 4 year degree with classes in ethics and psychology (more than just introductory courses), and more strict psych. evaluations. I also looked around a bit and found not all recruits to the police force require drug tests. Drug tests must be mandatory in my opinion, not only before, but regularly whilst on the job, as well as psychological evaluations.

It is far too lax today.

Who's going to pay for all of this?
Have you considered that increasing the education requirements may severely impact the number of candidates? Police officers are not that well paid, so if you are going to go to school for 4 years, why would you be a police officer?

Tax payers. I'd rather have more competent police officers on the street.

TheMadMonk said:
I'm astounded in all honesty that anybody would think that shooting somebody armed with a knife is unacceptable. It wasn't as if the man was skipping along minding his own business when officers decided to kill him for kicks. May come as a shock to the squeamish amongst you but police officers sometimes have to do not so nice things so that you can sleep soundly in your bed at night.
There's no need to be so patronising, especially when you're addressing a man made of straw. I don't see that anyone in this thread has argued that there is no circumstance in lethal force is acceptable, instead they are discussing whether or not it was acceptable in this case and highlighting potential improvements in equipment that may render it less necessary to use lethal force in the future. That's a perfectly normal and reasonable discussion, stop trying to derail it with this absurd statements against arguments no one is making.

Mentalist said:
Tax payers. I'd rather have more competent police officers on the street.

So you are ok with increasing your taxes then?

Yes, I am willing to pay more taxes for more competent police officers.

But to the point on using a different method of suppressing would-be violent offenders:

Bean-bag shotguns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE766ybH4x8

Or, taser. If the taser hadn't worked, one shot to the leg and the dog would have been all that was needed here. They had enough time to pull out their tasers, so I am not buying the old "tough situation" or, "not enough time to think". Police are supposed to be taught to remain level-headed. I'd expect a civilian to shoot the knife-weilding individual not a level-headed police officer.

Mentalist said:

Ok. But realize that not all cities can afford to increase their taxes. Some may be so small that it simply won't do any good. For example my father was an officer for a very small town in Texas for a decade or so. They could only afford about 2-3 officers at a time, even with him just working weekends. He even had to provide his own weapon.

Or, taser. If the taser hadn't worked, one shot to the leg and the dog would have been all that was needed here.

Never EVER shoot someone unless you intend to kill that person. It is one of the cornerstones of firearms training. NEVER aim to wound. Aim for center mass. Anything else is likely to get you or someone else injured or killed.

They had enough time to pull out their tasers, so I am not buying the old "tough situation" or, "not enough time to think". Police are supposed to be taught to remain level-headed. I'd expect a civilian to shoot the knife-weilding individual not a level-headed police officer.

You can't be taught to remain level headed, only how to deal with stressful situations that arise. This training is not always successful. It isn't a black and white concept you aren't "level headed" or "not level headed". The officers in this case probably could have handled the situation better, but I feel extremely little pity for the knife wielder.

Ok. But realize that not all cities can afford to increase their taxes. Some may be so small that it simply won't do any good. For example my father was an officer for a very small town in Texas for a decade or so. They could only afford about 2-3 officers at a time, even with him just working weekends. He even had to provide his own weapon.

Of course dependent upon the area, but my main stance here is that I am willing to pay more taxes for a better police force. This concerns more of a city area. But, I lived in a somewhat rural area as well, so not many police officers were needed. It would be quite excessive to have a high police force capacity when the need for it is quite low.

Never EVER shoot someone unless you intend to kill that person. It is one of the cornerstones of firearms training. NEVER aim to wound. Aim for center mass. Anything else is likely to get you or someone else injured or killed.

To me, that seems rather archaic.

You can't be taught to remain level headed, only how to deal with stressful situations that arise. This training is not always successful. It isn't a black and white concept you aren't "level headed" or "not level headed". The officers in this case probably could have handled the situation better, but I feel extremely little pity for the knife wielder.

You can be conditioned to deal with similar situations so that you aren't so apt to make rash decisions so to speak. That is what training is for from what I have gathered in terms of police.

As for my issues concerning the deceased man, I feel that his agitation resulted in his own death, but I do have some sympathy for him though, not little just enough to warrant my response in this thread about police incompetence. He was being shot when he was down. If you look closely he begins to go down after 1-3 shots, but they kept shooting.

Mentalist said:

But to the point on using a different method of suppressing would-be violent offenders:

Bean-bag shotguns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE766ybH4x8
I don't understand what you think this video has to do with anything; the news report describes a someone who was not a threat to a police officer or a bystander. It does not describe a situation where a (potential) assailant needs to be reliably and quickly physically incapacitated to prevent lethal harm to another.

The main gist of what I was trying to get out there is that bean bags are a viable option as well as tasers. More of an indication that they exist and could be used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bean_bag_round

Police use bean-bag shotgun to take down a two-sworded katana wielding individual.

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.cfm/rc-police-use-bean-bags-to-subdue-suspect/?id=124409

Taken from the story above:

"This is a win-win for us because we got the man safely into custody without seriously injuring him," Rud said.

Mentalist said:
To me, that seems rather archaic.

It isn't, it is a fundamental safety requirement. You do NOT want officers starting to try to use their weapons in an attempt to "wound" someone. A gun is a LETHAL weapon. Consider the following points.

1. It is extremely difficult to hit a non-stationary target, especially something like someones leg. Even if they are merely pacing back and forth slowly this is still very challenging, especially for someone with a handgun. This leads to issues such as officers missing and the suspect now forced into a violent situation where they are fighting for their own lives now and bullets bouncing around possible hitting bystanders.

2. Wounding someone who has a weapon of their own, even a knife, is almost guaranteed to lead to a bad situation. Consider that shooting someone in the leg now makes them VERY scared, angry, violent, etc when they probably weren't nearly that bad to begin with. And now you have a bleeding suspect that you are liable for that you have to get medical attention for. And he's still armed. NOT a good turn of events.

3. If officers have the option to use their gun for non-lethal purposes, they WILL use it. Even when they probably shouldn't. This is not something that can be trained out, it is an inevitability. People WILL be shot and WILL be killed on accident because an officer was "just trying to wound them".

You can be conditioned to deal with similar situations so that you aren't so apt to make rash decisions so to speak. That is what training is for from what I have gathered in terms of police.

Of course.

As for my issues concerning the deceased man, I feel that his agitation resulted in his own death, but I do have some sympathy for him though, not little just enough to warrant my response in this thread about police incompetence. He was being shot when he was down. If you look closely he begins to go down after 1-3 shots, but they kept shooting.

Not being a trained police officer I try not to judge cases like this because I feel that I have very little idea of what it's like to be there. However I support the investigation into unfortunate incidents such as this to determine what happened and to take appropriate actions to prevent them from happening in the future.