Policy Question on Posting Articles

• Thread starter pmr
  • Start date
In summary, the staff is discussing whether or not it is appropriate to post PDFs of articles that are just insights, without any original research.
pmr
Hey everyone,

I have a policy question about posting some articles that I've typed up in TeX. I want to now if it's allowed, and if so then under what circumstances.

I'm putting together a website where I'll be posting my notes on math and physics. Whenever I learn something new or work out some proof I TeX it up for myself for future reference. For example, I learned how to solve the cubic equation the other day, from scratch. The procedure is complicated, so I wrote it up for myself knowing that I would inevitably forget the details. A few weeks before that I worked out the correct form for the matrix that gives you perspective shortening when doing 3D graphics programming. I TeX'd that up for future reference too.

I'm wondering if it would be OK for me to occasionally post links to these PDFs of mine for comments and review. I enjoy sharing them, and I like getting feedback that might help make them better.

None of these papers could really be categorized as "original research." The subject matter is never anything groundbreaking. Just your typical intermediate level math and physics material recast into my own words.

What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi pmr,

Just letting you know that the staff has seen your post and are discussing it.

Thanks!

Hi pmr,

After some discussion, the best place for these would be as insights articles.

Another suggestion that apparently doesn't require anybody's approval. Go to your My PF drop down menu. There you can fill in some personal details, one of which is your home page. There is also an "About You" box where you could slip in some text about this interest of yours and encourage people to check out your home page. Just sayin' ...

That sounds great. I submitted an application to be a writer on the insights pages.

1. What is considered an appropriate topic for posting articles?

The appropriateness of a topic for posting articles depends on the policy of the specific publication or platform where the article will be posted. Generally, topics related to current events, research findings, or educational content are considered appropriate. It is important to also consider the target audience and ensure the topic is relevant and of interest to them.

2. Are there any guidelines for the length of an article?

Again, the guidelines for the length of an article may vary depending on the publication or platform. However, in general, articles should be long enough to adequately cover the topic and provide valuable information, but not too long to lose the reader's attention. A good guideline is to aim for 500-1000 words, but this can vary depending on the topic and target audience.

3. Can I use images or graphics in my article?

Yes, you can use images or graphics in your article, as long as they are relevant and properly cited. It is important to ensure that you have the rights to use the images or graphics, or that they are in the public domain or licensed for reuse. Plagiarism of images or graphics is also not allowed.

4. Is there a specific format or structure that should be followed when writing an article?

While there is no strict format or structure that must be followed, it is important to present your information in a clear and organized manner. This can include an introduction, main body with subheadings, and a conclusion. It is also important to use proper grammar and spelling, and to cite any sources used in the article.

5. Are there any specific guidelines for citing sources in an article?

Yes, it is important to properly cite any sources used in your article. This can include using in-text citations and a bibliography or reference list at the end of the article. The citation style may vary depending on the publication or platform, so it is important to follow their guidelines. Plagiarism of sources is not allowed and can result in serious consequences.