POLL for Most useful 4 year degree

In summary: So there's always the potential for older, more experienced engineers to lose their jobs to younger, less experienced engineers. In summary, most people think that a 4 year degree in either engineering or business is the most useful.
Engineering.

Pharmacy.

Economics/Commerce.

Actuarial/Statistics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone speak to the value of a straight forward vanilla flavored degree in the following;
Mathematics
Statistics
Physics.
Math Education for Secondary Schools
I am on disability and getting ready to go through vocational rehab and hope they will pay my way to a Bachelors degree. (I have enough credits to start as a Junior) but undoubtedly will have to pick up some of the 200 level classes as these all will be a change from my previous work a respiratory therapist.
In addition, I am on disability due to a couple head injuries exacerbating a mood disorder I already had so I am apprehensive about my abilities to comprehend any of this stuff and may opt for something a little less cerebral like special education.
Fire away
Wolf

Quote from above, not sure how to do this, I joined 2 hours ago.

"i agree about the universal demand for nurses, an important job that needs training, and is not very high paying.[/QUOTE]"

PS regarding a comment way up the page re: nurse in demand and not good pay. My former wife is an RN in the Portland, OR area and made 86 K last year without any overtime to speak of and working three 12 hours shifts a week. If she had worked nights she would have picked up a $5.00/hour shift differential. However the ironic thing is the fact that she comes home dead tired and wishes she could stay home and make cookies and sell Mary Kay for a living. So although the income potential is definitely there the saying "You get what you pay for" definitely applies. Or should it be "You pay for what you get" or "You pay for what you are paid", or...

mattmns said:
:rofl: How about a double major: English literature and Art History.

To be serious for a moment. If I wanted to get a job I would major in Statistics or Engineering.

What can you do with a four year degree in say, physical or chemical engineering? I guess I thought it would take longer than four years for engineering.

To get hired as a financial analyst or an accountant: stats or economics?

fasterthanjoao said:
... some people enjoy sitting in the freezing cold at night waiting for a solitary glimpse of Saturn's F ring...

Where do I sign up??

I'm with everyone else do something that you like. If you don't like it it will totally be a huge bummer on the rest of your day. Granted everyone must work jobs that they don't like, but when you get the chance do something that you love.

How exactly do you know that a passion is going to remain a passion?

Let me give you a quick example. My friend used to think that artificial intelligence would be the most exciting thing to work on. He always obsessed over the concepts and what the future would look like. However, when he directly began to work with programming and design, he couldn't stand it and said he'd rather be doing something else. The bottom line is, there probably isn't the perfect career out there just waiting for you; if it's anything that pays decently and leads to a stable life it will require some degree of struggle and patience. A suitable analogy would be marriage. Many people desire good/great traits in their future spouse. However, they themselves are not willing to change if their spouse were to expect the same traits from them. Every job can be romanticized but when it comes to working at it 8+ hours a day, it won't be what you expected it to be. Nothing in life is easy, and not all is fun and games. Patience is the only way to get through life.

Bottom line: I think human can always rationalize anything to be a passion, for the same reason that they can rationalize anything to be a drudge. But then again, I have yet to go to college. lol

Last edited:
Did anybody vote Computer Science?

<h2>1. What is the most useful 4 year degree?</h2><p>The most useful 4 year degree varies depending on an individual's career goals and interests. Some popular and highly sought after degrees include computer science, engineering, business, nursing, and psychology.</p><h2>2. How do you determine the usefulness of a 4 year degree?</h2><p>The usefulness of a 4 year degree can be determined by factors such as job demand, salary potential, and transferable skills. It is also important to consider one's personal interests and strengths when choosing a degree.</p><h2>3. Is a 4 year degree necessary for success?</h2><p>While a 4 year degree can greatly increase one's chances of success, it is not the only path to success. There are many successful individuals who have achieved their goals without a 4 year degree. However, having a degree can open up more opportunities and provide valuable skills and knowledge.</p><h2>4. Are there any 4 year degrees that are becoming less useful?</h2><p>The usefulness of a 4 year degree can change over time as job markets and industries evolve. Some degrees that may have been in high demand in the past may not be as useful now. It is important to research and stay informed about current job trends when choosing a degree.</p><h2>5. Can a 4 year degree be useful in multiple industries?</h2><p>Yes, many 4 year degrees provide transferable skills that can be applied to various industries. For example, a degree in communication can be useful in fields such as marketing, public relations, and human resources. It is important to consider the versatility of a degree when making a decision.</p>

1. What is the most useful 4 year degree?

The most useful 4 year degree varies depending on an individual's career goals and interests. Some popular and highly sought after degrees include computer science, engineering, business, nursing, and psychology.

2. How do you determine the usefulness of a 4 year degree?

The usefulness of a 4 year degree can be determined by factors such as job demand, salary potential, and transferable skills. It is also important to consider one's personal interests and strengths when choosing a degree.

3. Is a 4 year degree necessary for success?

While a 4 year degree can greatly increase one's chances of success, it is not the only path to success. There are many successful individuals who have achieved their goals without a 4 year degree. However, having a degree can open up more opportunities and provide valuable skills and knowledge.

4. Are there any 4 year degrees that are becoming less useful?

The usefulness of a 4 year degree can change over time as job markets and industries evolve. Some degrees that may have been in high demand in the past may not be as useful now. It is important to research and stay informed about current job trends when choosing a degree.

5. Can a 4 year degree be useful in multiple industries?

Yes, many 4 year degrees provide transferable skills that can be applied to various industries. For example, a degree in communication can be useful in fields such as marketing, public relations, and human resources. It is important to consider the versatility of a degree when making a decision.