Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poll: What type of person are you?

1. Feb 22, 2014 #1
    I've met three different kinds of people in my life: breadboarders, PCBers, and theorists.

Do you like to tinker (breadboarder) or are you more of a finished product type of person (PCBer)? Perhaps you're just satisfied knowing how something works (theorists)?

Me? I can't help but notice my electronics stash dwindle in size. I'm turning into a theorist. You can get a lot more done this way:tongue:

So who are you?

edit: I guess I don't know how to create a poll, lol

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2014 #2
    Fun question! I was actually about to write a post and ask if anybody else than me thinks soldering is meditative (yes, it's true, I find it meditative :biggrin:).

I don't know who I am really, I think I'm partly all three. I always like theory, and I also love tinkering, modifying things and making things work (and sometimes accidentally destroy them :tongue2:).

4. Feb 23, 2014 #3
    I'm the tinkerer or bread boarder or whatchamacallit.

5. Feb 23, 2014 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I'm definitely none of those. Where's the pancake option?

6. Feb 23, 2014 #5
    Try a myers-briggs test.

7. Feb 23, 2014 #6

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Its only truly meditative if you can pick up the soldering iron by the hot end, and not notice.

Of course the ultimate goal of meditative soldering is to pick up the soldering iron at the hot end and then use the cold end to make a perfectly soldered joint.

8. Feb 23, 2014 #7
    :rofl:

9. Feb 23, 2014 #8
    I never liked soldering. I have a tendency of putting things in my mouth:eek:

I created this thread because I worry. What's a guy do with himself when he's got it all figured out?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  10. Feb 23, 2014 #9
    Who are you?

You either build it or consume it. You do niether, and you must be a theorist. Why else would you be on a Physics forum?

11. Feb 23, 2014 #10

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I ask myself that same question every night :cry:

Camaraderie.

12. Feb 23, 2014 #11
    Make pancakes.

13. Feb 23, 2014 #12

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You missed option 4: do both. That's the only sensible way to go with pancakes, IMO.

14. Feb 24, 2014 #13

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

15. Feb 24, 2014 #14
    Oh, don't worry. There are two possibilities:

1. You will never figure all of it out.
    2. If you figure all of it out, then it's time to go into research. Build me new components worthy of Mordor.

16. Feb 24, 2014 #15
    Breadboard, with a side of kitbashing.

17. Feb 24, 2014 #16

Yes! Sometimes I look around the photolab for things that 'need' repaired :biggrin:

18. Feb 24, 2014 #17
    Leibniz had a question like this, for if you start with nothing, then you are left trying to explain why there is something rather than nothing

I think humans have been pushing why questions to such an extent that they become irrelevant. For instance, science can explain phenomenon through constants or laws, but can science explain why these laws are the way they are in the first place? Most people would say no. I think other. If the laws/constants weren't the way they are or so finely tuned, then I wouldn't be here to address the question.

So yeah, I do think you can figure it all out.

19. Feb 24, 2014 #18
    And how would you know you had figured it all out? :wink:

Perhaps, but this is a bit too much philosophy for my taste :smile:.

When I said "you", I really meant you - it was not meant as any general principle or philosophy. And when I said "you", I could have talked about myself:

1. I will never figure all of it out (and with "all of it" I mean understand all of a contemporary scientific field or - which is pretty impossible - understand all contemporary science*).

2. If I figure all of it out, then it's time to go into research. I will try to build new components worthy of Mordor (or try to solve unsolved problems in a field/find new problems).

My point is that it is highly unlikely scientists and engineers will be out of work any time soon.

* I'm pretty terrible at chemistry. Can't say I know much about biology either. Or medical science. Etc.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  20. Feb 27, 2014 #19

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Breadboarder.

The problem with the finished product is that you try it out, it does exactly what you expected, you say, "That was fun" - except it's only fun for a few times and then having it do exactly what you want every time is kind of boring.

Not that boring is bad. In fact, having the finished product do interesting things is usually bad.

Hence, the development being a lot more fun.

21. Mar 4, 2014 #20
    the type that wishes I was one of those or something like that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook