Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poll related to handedness between physics, mathematics and chemistry people

1. I am/was a university/college student and write with my right hand.

59 vote(s)
    72.0%
  2. I am/was a university/college student and write with my left hand.

18 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. I am/was a university/college student and write with both hands. (Please specify)

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. I don't have two hands but I use the left or right hand to write (Please specify in a post).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other. (Specify in a post please so I can modify my poll if I missed something important).

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Aug 12, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

I'm particularly interested in knowing the proportion of people who write with their left hand in physics, mathematics and chemistry (students who completed at least 1 year at university/college or people who already finished their university studies; including therefore professors and people who switched area of work). I personally noticed lots of people writing with their left hand between my friends and professors hence my curiosity.

Note: I personally write with my right hand even though I use my left hand/leg/eye for many things left handed people do. I'm only interested with which hand(s) you write, not whether your leg, eye and brain is "lefty"/"righty".
    I repeat, this poll is only for people who completed at least 1 year at university level in either of the three mentioned areas.
    Thanks!

P.S.: If you voted, please specify your area of study in a post.
    I can (and do) use both hands to write but I'm more comfortable with my right hand.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2011 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

Sorry to insist so much guys but if you voted, please post in what area you study(ied) :) thanks!

4. Aug 12, 2011 #3

Dembadon

Gold Member

I'm a right-handed person who's working towards a B.Sc. in mathematics.

5. Aug 12, 2011 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lefty engineering.

6. Aug 12, 2011 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Mathematics with the right hand.

7. Aug 12, 2011 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Computer science with any extremity that is available to strike keys on the keyboard.
    Mathematics, wringing latex formulas from the keyboard.
    Physics only in the mind and communicated through the keyboard possibly with pictures.

Oh, and I'm right handed. :smile:

8. Aug 12, 2011 #7
    Mathematics, right.

9. Aug 12, 2011 #8
    Mathematical Physics, right.

10. Aug 12, 2011 #9
    Voted.

I'm a Junior Physics Major (namely Optics), right handed.

11. Aug 12, 2011 #10

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Electrical and computer engineering, righty... training to be ambidexterous.

12. Aug 12, 2011 #11

drizzle

Gold Member

I do Physics, and *write* with my left hand. I didn't vote yet, can't find the poll in PF mobile. Greg should do something about it. :biggrin:

13. Aug 12, 2011 #12

Pythagorean

Gold Member

physics, neuroscience, left

14. Aug 12, 2011 #13
    Right-handed physics major

15. Aug 12, 2011 #14
    Mechanical Engineering, Righty :)

16. Aug 12, 2011 #15
    I haven't completed a year of college, because I'm still in high school, but I have taken calculus I and II and a proof class. I haven't taken more because I couldn't afford it this semester.

I think you should include a category for dual enrollment students who excel in those topics.

[BTW, I voted college/right.]

17. Aug 13, 2011 #16
    other. electrical engineering. right-handed. it's more math than physics, i'd say.

kinda wondering where you're going with this. my expectation is that chemistry would sway with more verbal types, and maybe lefties.

18. Aug 13, 2011 #17
    mathematics and I write with my bellybutton ( but tell everyone i write with right hand )

19. Aug 15, 2011 #18
    I use my feet and mouth to write.

20. Aug 15, 2011 #19

Pythagorean

Gold Member

currently 9 Lefties, 27 Righties voted on PF
    1 in 10 people is lefthanded

from 1:9 to 1:3, that's three times the odds that a college PF'er participating in this poll is a lefty.

21. Aug 15, 2011 #20
    Speaking of left handers.... I was at a meeting at the, then current, place of my employment, that will go unnamed. Storage Tek, maybe. Every one the five were left handed, as well as myself. So I made some unkindly remark about left-handers.

Not one of them noticed I was also taking notes left handed. This can't be good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook