Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polymorphisms, Cocrystals, and Salt Selection - differences?

1. Jun 13, 2013 #1

VxP

*This is not homework, I'm a technical writer.

I'm trying to understand how these terms are related and different. Here's what I have concluded so far:

Wikipedia definition is that cocrystals “consist of two or more components that form a unique crystalline structure having unique properties."

Wikipedia definition of Polymorphisms is the ability of a solid material to exist in more than one form or crystal structure.

But then, there are polymorphisms in co-crystals too...

Now salt selection would just mean selecting a particular polymorph or cocrystal?

It's a little confusing to me, any help?

Thanks, David

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2013 #2
    Hi, the term co-crystal sounds a bit odd to me and I am a materials scientist. It looks it is used a lot in organic chemistry, although I can think of a number of inorganic crystalline materials that fit in the description given in Wikipedia. It is a just a new compound obtained by crystallizing together two (or why not more) other crystalline compounds. Polymorphism means that a substance can crystallize in more than one crystalline form, so that should apply to some co-crystals too. "Salt selection" is not any particular scientific term so you should give us more info about the context, to help us find the relationship with co-crystals. Just a guess, it seems there is a quest to develop new co-crystals and that is achieved by selecting appropriate materials to crystallize together. Probably salts can be also used for this purpose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook