1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomial bounded w.r.t supremum norm

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

E1 = {pn(t) = nt(1-t)n:n in N};

E2 = {pn(t) = t + (1/2)t2 +...+(1/n)tn: n in N};

where N is set of natural numbers

is the polynomial bounded w.r.t the supremum norm on P[0,1]?

2. Relevant equations

supremum norm = ||*|| = sup{|pn(t)|: t in [0,1]}

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the set is bounded on P[0,1] if I can show that the supremum norm is less than some constant for all n. Can someone give me some advice on how to show either polynomial is bounded or not?

I think E1 is unbounded, no matter your choice of t, since the polynomial's value will forever increase as n in increases. I feel the same can be said of E2 but I know this is wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2010 #2
    You can answer this fairly directly, by computing the maximum and minimum values of each [tex]p_n[/tex]; because polynomials are smooth functions, the extreme values of [tex]p_n[/tex] on [tex][0,1][/tex] must occur at a critical point of [tex]p_n[/tex] or at one of the endpoints.

The members of [tex]E_2[/tex] share a particular property which will save you even this computation.

4. Jan 26, 2010 #3
    I'm not seeing the special property of E2. Its min value must be at t = 0 for all n, and max when t = 1, but I can't pin down a value for sup. It looks like an expanded function but it doesn't look familiar.

factoring out a t makes p2(t) = t(1 + t + (1/2)t + (1/3)t2 + ... + (1/n)tn-1), but I'm still not seeing the trick.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  5. Jan 26, 2010 #4
    Also, at E1, the critical points are t = 0 and t = 1. At both of these points, no matter the value of N, the polynomial is zero. Does this mean that is my sup? That doesn't make sense to me b/c the shape of this function spikes in the middle between t = 0 and t = 1.

6. Jan 26, 2010 #5
    for E2, p'(t) gives the geometric series, which equals 1/(1-t) on the interval |t|<1. The second derivative is 1/(1-t)2 < 0

What can I do with this information? The series doesn't converge at either t = 0 or t = 1.

7. Jan 26, 2010 #6
    If the function is zero at 0 and 1, and positive in the middle, then there must be another critical point between, no?

For [tex]E_2[/tex], put [tex]q_n(t) = t^n/n[/tex], so that [tex]p_n(t) = \sum_{1\leq j\leq n} q_n(t)[/tex]. Where does each [tex]q_n[/tex] reach its maximum absolute value? What does this tell you about the [tex]p_n[/tex]?

8. Jan 26, 2010 #7
    yes, and it'll be a function of n, but as n -> inf, isn't the max value of the function going to diverge to inf as well?

qn reaches its max value at t = 1 => [tex]p_n(1) = \sum_{1\leq j\leq n}q_n(1) = \sum_{1\leq j\leq n}\frac{1}{n} [/tex]

so the value of this polynomial is the sum of this series and is finite and therefore this polynomial is bounded.

9. Jan 26, 2010 #8
    That's precisely what the question asks you to determine.

Bounded? Uniformly in [tex]n[/tex]? Look again.

10. Jan 26, 2010 #9
    I understand that, but I am not confident about my answer.

you're right, I got mixed up with our indexes on our summation notation. Anyway, the sum of (1/n) to infinity is harmonic sequence which does not converge, and therefore THIS polynomial is not bounded. Am I getting close?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook