1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomial to represent a linear rectangle element

1. Mar 25, 2013 #1
    Folks,

I have attached a picture illustrating the labelling of the linear reactangle element which can be represented by the following equation

##u(x,y)=c_1+c_2 x +c_3 y +c_4 xy## (1)

##u_1=u(0,0)=c_1##
    ##u_2=u(a,0)=c_1+c_2a##
    ##u_3=u(a,b)=c_1+c_2a+c_3b+c_4ab##
    ##u_4=u(0,b)=c_1+c_3b##

I dont really understand these equations. I mean, how is equation (1) derived to represent a rectangle and how is ##u_i## for ##i=1..4## derived?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The function u(x,y) does not represent the rectangle itself. u(x,y) represents a surface which is defined over the area bounded by the rectangle. The functional values u1 - u4 are the values of u(x,y) at the corner points of the rectangle. The surface produced by u(x,y) will be a plane passing through the points u1 - u4.

The derivation of the element equations are given in most elementary intro to finite element analysis texts.

4. Mar 26, 2013 #3
    OK. Taking a slight step back and looking at the triangular element case which can be desribed by the following expression

##f(x,y)=a+bx+cy##. What branch of mathematics are we looking at here, geometry? IM am interested to know how this simple equation was derived to represent a plane surface...

Thanks

5. Mar 26, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The equation a + bx + cy = 0, which corresponds to f(x, y) = 0, represents a line in two dimensions (the x-y plane).

The equation z = f(x, y) = a + bx + cy represents a plane in three dimensions. This is pretty basic analytic geometry.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  6. Mar 26, 2013 #5
    So can one determine the equation of a line ##y=mx+c'## from above equation? If we re-arrange the above equation we get

##y=-a/c -bx/c##....?

thanks

7. Mar 26, 2013 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Usually, but not always. Equations that represent vertical lines can't be put in this form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook