Is the transformation matrix of $\Phi$ in relation to $B$ correct?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mapping
In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation matrix of an endomorphism $\Phi$ in relation to a basis $B$, and determining if $\Phi$ is bijective. The conversation also touches on the topic of finding the rank of $\Phi$ and calculating the transformation matrix of $\Phi\circ\Phi$. The group also discusses the dimensions of the vector space and the importance of a non-zero determinant in determining the rank of $\Phi$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $B=\{b_1, \ldots , b_5\}$ be a basis of the real vector space $V$ and let $\Phi$ be an endomorphis of $V$ with
\begin{align*}\Phi (b_1)& =4b_1+2b_2 -2b_4-3b_5 \\ \Phi (b_2)& = -2b_3 +b_5 \\ \Phi (b_3)& = -4b_2+2b_3 -b_5 \\ \Phi (b_4)& =-2b_1 +3b_3+b_4-b_5 \\ \Phi (b_5)& = 3b_2 +2b_5\end{align*}

I have found the following transformation matrix of $\Phi$ in relation to $B$:
\begin{equation*}A_{\Phi}=\begin{pmatrix} \ 4& \ 0& \ 0& -2& \ 0\\ \ 2& \ 0& -4& \ 0& \ 3\\ \ 0& -2& \ 2& \ 3& \ 0 \\ -2& \ 0& \ 0& \ 1& \ 0 \\ -3& \ 1& -1& -1& \ 2\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*} Then I want to check if $\Phi$ is bijective. To check this do we use the transormation matrix? (Wondering) I want to show also that the set $C=\{c_1, c_2, c_3\}$, that consists of the vectors $c_1=b_2+b_3+b_5, \ c_2=-b_3+b_5, \ c_3=b_2+b_5$, is a basis of a vector subspace $U$ of $V$ with $\Phi (U)\subset U$.

To show that the set $C$ is a basis, we have to show that the vectors $c_1, c_2, c_3$ are linearly independent, right? (Wondering)

We have that \begin{equation*}x c_1+y c_2+z c_3=0 \Rightarrow x (b_2+b_3+b_5)+y (-b_3+b_5)+z (b_2+b_5)=0 \Rightarrow (x+y )b_2+(x -y )b_3+(x +y +z )b_5=0\end{equation*}

Since $b_2, b_3, b_5$ are elements of a basis we get $x+y =x -y =x +y +z =0$ and so $x=y=z=0$.

Therefore, $c_1, c_2, c_3$ are linearly independent and the set $C$ is a basis. To show that $\Phi (U)\subset U$ I have done the following:

Let $c\in U$. Simce $C$ is a basis, $c$ can be written as a linear combination of the $c_1, c_2, c_3$, $c=a_1c_1+a_2c_2+a_3c_3$.

To show that $\Phi (U)\subset U$, we have to show that $\Phi (c)\in U$.

We have that $\Phi (c)=a_1\Phi (c_1)+a_2\Phi (c_2)+a_3\Phi (c_3)$.

Calculating the $\Phi (c_1), \Phi (c_2), \Phi (c_3)$ we get:

\begin{align*}\Phi (c_1) = & \Phi (b_2+b_3+b_5)=\ldots =-b_2+2b_5 \\ \Phi (c_2) = & \Phi (-b_3+b_5)=\ldots =7b_2-2b_3+3b_5 \\ \Phi (c_3) = & \Phi (b_2+b_5)=\ldots =3b_2-2b_3+3b_5 \end{align*}From the definitions of $c_1,c_2,c_3$ we get that $c_1+c_2-c_3=b_5, 2c_3-(c_1+c_2)=b_2, b_3=c_1-c_3$.

The $c_1, c_2, c_3$ are elements of the vector subspace $U$. So, each linear combination will also be in $U$.

Since we can write the $b_2, b_3, b_5$ as a linear combination of the $c_1, c_2, c_3$, we get that $b_2, b_3, b_5\in U$.

So, every linear combination of the $b_2, b_3, b_5$ is also in $U$.

Therefore $\Phi (c_1), \Phi (c_2), \Phi (c_3)\in U$.

And from that we get that every linear combination of them is also in $U$, and so $\Phi (c)=a_1\Phi (c_1)+a_2\Phi (c_2)+\Phi (c_3)\in U$. Is everything correct? Could I improve something? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
I have found the following transformation matrix of $\Phi$ in relation to $B$:
\begin{equation*}A_{\Phi}=\begin{pmatrix} \ 4& \ 0& \ 0& -2& \ 0\\ \ 2& \ 0& -4& \ 0& \ 3\\ \ 0& -2& \ 2& \ 3& \ 0 \\ -2& \ 0& \ 0& \ 1& \ 0 \\ -3& \ 1& -1& -1& \ 2\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*}
Then I want to check if $\Phi$ is bijective. To check this do we use the transormation matrix? (Wondering)
If we prove that $\det A_{\Phi}\ne 0$ then, $\text{rank }A_{\Phi}=5$. So,
$$\text{rank }A_{\Phi}=5=\dim \text{Im }f =\dim V\Rightarrow \text{Im }f=V\Rightarrow f\text{ is surjective.}$$
On the other hand,
$$\dim \text{Im }f=5\Rightarrow \dim \ker f=\dim V-\dim \text{Im }f=0\Rightarrow f\text{ is injective.}$$

That is, we only need to prove that $\det A_{\Phi}\ne 0.$

Fernando Revilla said:
If we prove that $\det A_{\Phi}\ne 0$ then, $\text{rank }A_{\Phi}=5$. So,
$$\text{rank }A_{\Phi}=5=\dim \text{Im }f =\dim V\Rightarrow \text{Im }f=V\Rightarrow f\text{ is surjective.}$$
On the other hand,
$$\dim \text{Im }f=5\Rightarrow \dim \ker f=\dim V-\dim \text{Im }f=0\Rightarrow f\text{ is injective.}$$

Why do we have that $\dim \text{Im }f =\dim V$ ? (Wondering)
Fernando Revilla said:
That is, we only need to prove that $\det A_{\Phi}\ne 0.$

Instead of calculating the determinant of the $5\times 5$-matrix, we could find the rank, right? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Why do we have that $\dim \text{Im }f =\dim V$ ? (Wondering)
Because we were given that dim V= 5 and since the determinant is non-zero, the transformation has 0 kernel meaning that the image has dimension 5.
Instead of calculating the determinant of the $5\times 5$-matrix, we could find the rank, right? (Wondering)
Finding that the determinant is non-zero is the simplest way to find the rank!

HallsofIvy said:
Because we were given that dim V= 5 and since the determinant is non-zero, the transformation has 0 kernel meaning that the image has dimension 5.

Do we have that dim V= 5 because the basis B contains 5 elements? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Do we have that dim V= 5 because the basis B contains 5 elements? (Wondering)
Right. :)

Thanks a lot! (Happy)

To calculate the transformation matrix of $\Phi\circ\Phi$ in relation to $B$, we have to calculate the images $\Phi^2(b_i), b_i\in B$, right? (Wondering)

1. What does it mean for a mapping to be bijective?

A bijective mapping is a one-to-one and onto relationship between two sets, where every element in the first set is paired with exactly one element in the second set, and every element in the second set is paired with exactly one element in the first set.

2. How can I determine if a mapping is bijective?

To determine if a mapping is bijective, you can check if it is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). This means that for every element in the first set, there is a unique element in the second set, and vice versa.

3. What is the importance of a bijective mapping?

Bijective mappings are important in mathematics because they allow for a unique correspondence between two sets. This can be useful in solving equations, proving the existence of solutions, and showing the equality of sets.

4. Can a mapping be bijective if the sets it maps between are of different sizes?

Yes, a mapping can still be bijective even if the sets it maps between are of different sizes. As long as there is a one-to-one and onto relationship between the elements of the two sets, the mapping is considered bijective.

5. What are some examples of bijective mappings?

Examples of bijective mappings include the mapping between a set of integers and their corresponding square values, the mapping between a set of letters and their corresponding numeric values in the alphabet, and the mapping between a set of real numbers and their corresponding absolute values.