Poor Phrasing of a Lie Group Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses a theorem about Lie groups and charts, specifically in the context of an abelian Lie group. The theorem states that the multiplication map of a Lie group can be written as a homomorphism and that the pushforward of certain elements can be evaluated to yield the identity. This is then used to prove a property of the exponential function in groups.
Mandelbroth
I found what might be the worst written book on Lie Groups. Ever. Until I find one I like better, I'm going to see if I can persevere through the sludge. I'll write out the theorem word for word and then explain what I can. Hopefully someone can decipher it.

Theorem: Let ##\varphi_\alpha: U_\alpha\to G_\alpha## be a chart on ##G## which sends ##0\in V## to ##\mathrm{e}\in G##. Then, omitting ##\varphi_\alpha##, we can write ##xy=x+y+o(r)##, where ##r## denotes the distance of ##(x,y)## from ##(\mathrm{e},\mathrm{e})## in ##G\times G## under a given metric.

Typically, I use the term "chart" to mean the inverse of what the author uses here. Also, in case it wasn't clear from the title, ##G## is a Lie group.

What does this mean, explicitly using the chart (preferably using ##\varphi_\alpha^{-1}## for his ##\varphi_\alpha##)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For those of you who might be looking for this in the future, I think I've figured out what the author is trying to say.

Pretend ##G## is an abelian Lie group. Then, the multiplication map ##\mu:G\times G\to G, (a,b)\mapsto ab## is a homomorphism of Lie groups. Consider ##\mu_1=\left.\mu\right|_{\{\mathrm{e}\}\times G}##. Identifying ##\{\mathrm{e}\}\times G\cong G##, we note that ##\mu_1## is the identity. Thus, evaluating the pushforward of ##0\oplus y## by ##\mu_1##, we get ##\mathrm{d}(\mu_1)_{(\mathrm{e},\mathrm{e})}(0\oplus y)=y##. Similarly, for ##\mu_2=\left.\mu\right|_{G\times\{\mathrm{e}\}}##, we get ##\mathrm{d}(\mu_2)_{(\mathrm{e},\mathrm{e})}(x\oplus 0)=x##. By linearity, we get our result: $$\mathrm{d}\mu_{(\mathrm{e},\mathrm{e})}(x\oplus y)=\mathrm{d}\mu_{(\mathrm{e},\mathrm{e})}(x\oplus 0 + 0\oplus y)=x+y.$$

This is used, notably, to prove that ##\exp## is a homomorphism of groups (with an appropriate forgetful functor slapped onto the domain) if and only if the underlying Lie group is abelian.

What is a Lie group theorem?

A Lie group theorem is a mathematical theorem that describes the relationship between a Lie group and its associated Lie algebra. It is used to study the properties and structure of these mathematical objects.

How does poor phrasing affect a Lie group theorem?

Poor phrasing of a Lie group theorem can lead to confusion and misinterpretation of the theorem, making it difficult to understand and apply in mathematical research and applications. It can also lead to incorrect conclusions and results.

What are some common mistakes in phrasing a Lie group theorem?

Some common mistakes in phrasing a Lie group theorem include using ambiguous language, not clearly defining all the terms and variables, and not specifying the assumptions and limitations of the theorem.

How can one improve the phrasing of a Lie group theorem?

To improve the phrasing of a Lie group theorem, one should use clear and precise language, define all terms and variables, and clearly state all assumptions and limitations. It is also helpful to provide examples and illustrations to enhance understanding.

Why is it important to have clear and precise phrasing in a Lie group theorem?

Clear and precise phrasing in a Lie group theorem is important because it ensures that the theorem is properly understood and applied, leading to accurate and reliable results. It also allows for easier communication and collaboration among mathematicians and scientists.