Popsicle Stick Bombs! have you seen these before?

• Thread starter The Maker
  • Start date
Hello,

I recently made a video called "Popsicle Stick Bombs: Cobra Weave And More Kinetic Fun!". This video is about the power of tension, potential, and kinetic energy. I hope that you enjoy, and please tell me whether you have heard of this concept before or have seen this on TV or in any other youtube videos. Thank you.

Answers and Replies

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
No video visible, just a black square. There is a video embed tool in the PF post editor.

berkeman
Mentor
Works for me. Where did you find all of these?

I found out about them a few years ago on youtube. I recently decided to make a video about the ones I know how to make.

berkeman
Mentor
Pretty cool. Knowing what you know about how those work, have you made any unique ones of your own? What are the basic principles at work with these? :smile:

Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Let's see some with popsicle sticks dyed various colors - maybe a portrait of someone?

Pretty cool. Knowing what you know about how those work, have you made any unique ones of your own? What are the basic principles at work with these? :smile:
I have not made any unique ones, I am sorry to say. The basic principles are tension, potential energy, and explosive kinetic energy. Some people call it kinetic art.

Let's see some with popsicle sticks dyed various colors - maybe a portrait of someone?
I may actually die some stick, but a portrait is probably beyond me.

Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
When I saw the title I thought of the simple Popsicle stick "bombs" we use to make as kids:
popstickbomb.png

(please excuse the rough rendering)

You tossed them in the air and when they hit the floor, the sticks would "explode" off in different directions.

When I saw the title I thought of the simple Popsicle stick "bombs" we use to make as kids:
View attachment 195297
(please excuse the rough rendering)

You tossed them in the air and when they hit the floor, the sticks would "explode" off in different directions.
Yeah, we used to make these, and also the ones that are square, that take one or two more sticks.

Those are the both in my video near the beginning. I also think that this are the oldest bombs.