1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Popsicle Stick Bombs! have you seen these before?

1. Apr 14, 2017 #1
    Hello,

I recently made a video called "Popsicle Stick Bombs: Cobra Weave And More Kinetic Fun!". This video is about the power of tension, potential, and kinetic energy. I hope that you enjoy, and please tell me whether you have heard of this concept before or have seen this on TV or in any other youtube videos. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2017 #2

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

No video visible, just a black square. There is a video embed tool in the PF post editor.

4. Apr 14, 2017 #3

5. Apr 14, 2017 #4
    Did that work?

6. Apr 14, 2017 #5

berkeman

Works for me. Where did you find all of these?

7. Apr 16, 2017 #6
    I found out about them a few years ago on youtube. I recently decided to make a video about the ones I know how to make.

8. Apr 16, 2017 #7

berkeman

Pretty cool. Knowing what you know about how those work, have you made any unique ones of your own? What are the basic principles at work with these? :smile:

9. Apr 16, 2017 #8

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Let's see some with popsicle sticks dyed various colors - maybe a portrait of someone?

10. Apr 17, 2017 #9
    I have not made any unique ones, I am sorry to say. The basic principles are tension, potential energy, and explosive kinetic energy. Some people call it kinetic art.

11. Apr 17, 2017 #10
    I may actually die some stick, but a portrait is probably beyond me.

12. Apr 17, 2017 #11

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I saw the title I thought of the simple Popsicle stick "bombs" we use to make as kids:
    popstickbomb.png
    (please excuse the rough rendering)

You tossed them in the air and when they hit the floor, the sticks would "explode" off in different directions.

13. Apr 17, 2017 #12

Mark44

Yeah, we used to make these, and also the ones that are square, that take one or two more sticks.

14. Apr 18, 2017 #13
    Those are the both in my video near the beginning. I also think that this are the oldest bombs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted