Popular Physics Conferences / Societies

• Thread starter razored
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, high school student planning to take physics related classes and attend physics conferences in college.
razored
I'm a high school student but planning to partake in several Physics related societies in College. I also plan to visit at least one Physics conference during my high school career. The only one I've heard of is SPS which is "Society of Physics Students." However, that is only for college but I plan to join it as soon as I am in college. I've heard that American Physical Society holds one annually.

Can anyone tell me of some Physics Societies? Also, can anyone note any popular conferences that are held in the US?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, it's jumping the gun a bit to start planning to go to conferences now... And how can you plan to join "several" physics societies without knowing even what organizations there are or what they do?

You sound to me like you are padding your resume/college application. Don't do that. Just work hard on your studies and do things that you genuinely enjoy.

"You sound to me like you are padding your resume/college application. Don't do that. Just work hard on your studies and do things that you genuinely enjoy." No, I'm genuinely interested.

Any one know any Physics socities?

Do well enough in college and you'll probably get into Sigma Pi Sigma, the physics honor society.

As an SPS member, you will enjoy benefits of being a member of an affiliate to the AIP.

Beyond that, I think you would want to look at some of the specialty science organizations once you know where your research interests and strengths lie.

The general society for practicing physicists in the USA is the American Physical Society (APS). Its big annual conference is the "March Meeting" which is held in a different city each year. The APS has divisions for various fields, some of which I think hold their own specialized conferences. There are also regional sections that cover various parts of the USA, and which hold their own conferences.

There are also specialized societies for various sub-fields of physics, for example the American Vacuum Society, which hold their own conferences. Most or all of them (along with the APS) are under the umbrella of the American Institute of Physics (AIP). If you go to the AIP Web site you'll find a list somewhere.

For students, there's the Society of Physics Students, which has chapters at most colleges and universities, and Sigma Pi Sigma which is an honorary society (invitation only). Most APS national or sectional conferences have events for SPS, I think.

Thanks for all the useful information!

1. What is the purpose of a physics conference?

A physics conference brings together scientists, researchers, and students from around the world to discuss and share their latest findings, advancements, and ideas in the field of physics. It allows for collaboration, networking, and the dissemination of knowledge in order to further scientific progress.

2. How can I find a list of popular physics conferences?

There are several ways to find a list of popular physics conferences. One way is to search online for websites that compile and update lists of upcoming conferences. You can also check with professional organizations, such as the American Physical Society, for a list of recommended conferences. Additionally, many universities and research institutions host their own physics conferences, so checking their websites or speaking with colleagues in the field can also provide information on popular conferences.

3. What is the difference between a physics conference and a physics society?

A physics conference is a specific event that brings together physicists for a limited period of time to share their research and ideas. A physics society, on the other hand, is a professional organization that serves as a community for physicists and promotes the advancement of the field through various activities such as publishing journals, organizing conferences, and providing resources and support for its members.

4. Do I have to be a member of a physics society to attend their conferences?

Most physics societies require attendees to be members in order to attend their conferences. However, some societies may offer non-member registration options for their conferences at a higher cost. It is best to check the specific society's website for their membership requirements and conference registration policies.

5. How can I present my research at a physics conference?

In order to present your research at a physics conference, you usually have to submit an abstract or proposal to the conference organizers. This can typically be done through the conference website or by email. The abstract will then go through a review process and if accepted, you will be notified and given a time slot to present your research at the conference.