Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Popular Physics & Math Books 2014 & 2015

1. Dec 25, 2015 #1
    I seek comprehensive lists of the best or most recommended popular books on particle physics, astronomy, astrophysics, cosmology and mathematics published in 2014 and 2015. These lists should be freely accessible on the web and not hidden behind any paywall or limited to subscribers only. Besides the title and author, a short description of the book is desirable.

By popular, I mean non-technical. Simple equations or mathematical relations are fine, but no PDEs please!

In the past few years, a new generation of authors have emerged, and I do not know who is worth reading on the topics I have enumerated above.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2015 #2
    Generally speaking you can't download recent books legally for free. You can however download open source books for free. There are 2 websites for this. They are legal in most countries. You need to check if it's legal where you're located. I'm not aware about publishing date but there's always a filter to sort.
    https://www.gutenberg.org/
    https://archive.org/

Personally I'm a big fan of archive.org. They're doing an awesome job.
    There are free books written by professors. They're written for students to study from. No pop science books.
    Please do not download illegal books. Authors take great pain to write them. Have respect for their efforts.

4. Dec 28, 2015 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

@Giant : OP didn't ask for free BOOKS, but for free LISTS.

5. Dec 28, 2015 #4
  6. Jan 1, 2016 #5
    Thanks, but too general. I'm seeking popular books written by professional (Ph.D.) physicists, astrophysicists and astronomers in recent years. Authors whose books I have enjoyed in the past include Lawrence Krauss, Ray Jayawardhana, Frank Close, Michio Kaku, Alan Dressler, Ken Croswell and a number of others. Updated lists of books similar to what those authors wrote are of keen interest to me. Popular (non-quantitative) yes but serious science only, please, written for the layman.

7. Jan 1, 2016 #6

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Go to Amazon, put in titles of books of your quoted authors, and somewhere in the info about each book there is a section "people who bought this book also bought..." and that should lead to a high fraction of the sort of books that may interest you, plus several reviews by readers useful in telling you if they are books you want to read.

8. Jan 2, 2016 #7
    Been there, done that. Not a satisfactory solution.

I still seek book lists prepared preferably by scientific organizations for the topical areas previously mentioned.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook