Pore dilation with increased pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of sand becoming dry around one's feet while walking on a wet strip of a beach. It explores the explanation of this occurrence, with one person initially assuming it was due to pressure squeezing the water out from under the foot, while the other person presents a theory of dilatancy, where the volume of sand increases due to grains levering each other apart. This leads to a change in perception during beach walks.
A_B

Homework Statement

When walking on the wet strip on the beach, you notice the sand around your feet becoming dry for a while. Why is this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Intuition says that the pressure due to your weight should squeeze the water from under your foot to the surrounding sand, making it more wet, instead, water is pulled away from the sand surrounding your feet.

I found the following in the soil mechanics page on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_mechanics"
"Foot pressing in soil causes soil to dilate, drawing water from the surface into the pores."

As I understand it, this says that by pushing on wet sand, its volume increases, since the pores dilate, How does that work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A_B said:
Intuition says that the pressure due to your weight should squeeze the water from under your foot to the surrounding sand, making it more wet, instead, water is pulled away from the sand surrounding your feet.

I found the following in the soil mechanics page on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_mechanics"
"Foot pressing in soil causes soil to dilate, drawing water from the surface into the pores."

As I understand it, this says that by pushing on wet sand, its volume increases, since the pores dilate, How does that work?

That's really interesting. I had always assumed the mechanism was was you intuited. The discussion of your quoted passage notes that soils can do that, but not beach sand. Looking a little further I found a discussion of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds%27_dilatancy" . That explains that when the grains are interlocking, they lever each other apart rather than compressing.

You have have forever changed my walks on the beach. Thanks for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What causes pores to dilate with increased pressure?

Pores can dilate with increased pressure due to the compression of the surrounding tissue, which can cause the skin to stretch and the pores to open up. Additionally, increased blood flow to the area can also contribute to pore dilation.

2. Can pore dilation with increased pressure lead to skin damage?

In some cases, pore dilation with increased pressure can lead to skin damage, particularly if the pressure is too high or if the skin is already compromised. This can result in inflammation, redness, and potential scarring.

3. How does pore dilation with increased pressure affect skincare products?

Pore dilation with increased pressure can make it easier for skincare products to penetrate the skin, allowing for better absorption. However, it can also increase the risk of irritation from certain products, so it is important to use caution when applying pressure to the skin.

4. Is pore dilation with increased pressure temporary or permanent?

Pore dilation with increased pressure is typically temporary and will return to its normal state once the pressure is released. However, if the pressure is too intense or prolonged, it can cause permanent damage to the skin and lead to permanently enlarged pores.

5. Are there any benefits to pore dilation with increased pressure?

Yes, there are some potential benefits to pore dilation with increased pressure. It can help to release trapped dirt, oil, and bacteria from the pores, leading to a clearer complexion. Additionally, it can also allow for better absorption of skincare products, as mentioned earlier.