Position function x(t) question

In summary: So in summary, the problem is asking to find the position function x(t) given the acceleration function a(t)=4(t+3)^2, initial velocity v0=-1, and initial position x0=1. To solve this, we need to integrate a(t) twice to get x(t) and use the initial conditions to determine the constants of integration. The final answer should be 1/3(t+3)^4 - 37t -26.
becksftw
the problem is given a(t)=4(t+3)^2, v0=-1, x0=1 find x(t), the position function

to my knowledge x(t)= 1/2at^2+v0t+x0

I tried it and got the wrong answer, the answer the book gives is: 1/3(t+3)^4 - 37t -26

I did:

x(t)= 1/2 [4(t+3)^2)]t^2 - 1t +1
eventually getting: 4t^2 + 24t + 9 for the part in parenthesis
and 2t^4 +12t^2 + 9/2t^2 after multiplying by t^2 and then 1/2

What I'm getting it shaping up to look nothing like the answer, so I know I'm missing something big here.

Physics news on Phys.org
becksftw said:
the problem is given a(t)=4(t+3)^2, v0=-1, x0=1 find x(t), the position function

to my knowledge x(t)= 1/2at^2+v0t+x0
This expression for x(t) relies on the assumption that the acceleration is constant, which is not the case here.
I tried it and got the wrong answer, the answer the book gives is: 1/3(t+3)^4 - 37t -26

I did:

x(t)= 1/2 [4(t+3)^2)]t^2 - 1t +1
eventually getting: 4t^2 + 24t + 9 for the part in parenthesis
and 2t^4 +12t^2 + 9/2t^2 after multiplying by t^2 and then 1/2

What I'm getting it shaping up to look nothing like the answer, so I know I'm missing something big here.
By definition, you have a(t)=v'(t) and v(t)=x'(t). If you start with a(t)=constant, you can derive the equation x(t)=x0+v0t+1/2at2. This is probably covered in your textbook or notes.

In this problem, you want to do the same thing except start with the given expression for a(t).

Its for a course that already expects you to remember to remember this, we're just doing the quick review chapter in the beginning. I've never taken physics though, so I hardly every deal with this stuff, so I forgot exactly how to go about the problem. So are you saying then that I want to integrate a(t)?

*integrate a(t) twice

Yes, and use the initial conditions to determine the constants of integration.

What is a position function?

A position function is a mathematical representation that describes the position of an object at a given time. It is typically denoted as x(t), where x represents the position and t represents time.

How is a position function different from a position-time graph?

A position function provides a mathematical equation that describes the position of an object at any given time, while a position-time graph is a visual representation of an object's position over time. The position function can be derived from the position-time graph, and vice versa.

What are the units of a position function?

The units of a position function depend on the units used for time and position. For example, if time is measured in seconds and position is measured in meters, the units of the position function would be meters per second (m/s).

How is velocity related to a position function?

Velocity is the rate of change of position over time, and it can be calculated by taking the derivative of the position function. In other words, the slope of a position function at a particular point represents the object's velocity at that time.

Can a position function be used to predict future positions?

Yes, a position function can be used to predict future positions of an object by plugging in a value for time. This can be helpful in understanding the motion of an object and making predictions about its future behavior.