1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position of a particle from the graph of its velocity

1. Nov 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem: how do we know for sure if x is <0 for point A?
    AglX2zq.png
    Vx-t is a graph of particle's speed over time.
    x represents position of the particle at any given time

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the function that we can see on the left side of the picture we can deduce the formula for it. It should be something like v = -a(t-b)^2+c, where a,b and c are some unknown constants >0.

So i attempted to use wolframalpha to plot a function similar to this:
    LKtbnn1.png
    And then I took integral of this function to find the connection between x (position of the particle) and t:
    bsRhj1K.png
    From this function we can see that if the constant is equal to zero, then position x of the particle at t=0 should be zero. This means that since the textbook says that at point A x<0, our constant is =/=0, but instead is a negative number.

But how do they know that constant is <0 at point A?
    All we have is a graph of the derivate of the function of particle's position (x) over time. When we take a derivative of this, the constant turns into zero, so I don't see the way that authors used to determine whether the constant is >0, <0 or 0. Why do they state that x<0 at A then if it could actually be anything?

Thanks for help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A graph of velocity against time does not imply an initial position. The book must have stated or assumed that ##x(t=0) < 0##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted