1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position of Center Mass Question

1. Apr 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Romeo (80.0 kg) entertains Juliet (58.0 kg) by playing his guitar from the rear of their boat at rest in still water, 2.80 m away from Juliet, who is in the front of the boat. After the serenade, Juliet carefully moves to the rear of the boat (away from shore) to plant a kiss on Romeo's cheek. How far does the 85.0 kg boat move toward the shore it is facing?

___________ m

2. Relevant equations

x_cm = (m1*x1 + m2*x2 + ... ) / (m1 + m2 + ... )

3. The attempt at a solution

Im kind of confused on this problem and really need help..

So far I was trying to figure it out but i think i went the wrong way.. My thinking was that there was no external force on the system, so we could just set two equtions equal to eachother.

In doing so i came out with..

Initially, x_cm = [(m_B * L/2) + (m_J * L)] / (m_R + m_B + m_J)

and

Now, x_cm = [ m_B*(d + L/2) + d*(m_R * m_J) ] / [m_R + m_B + m_J]

After setting those equal and solving for d, i came out with .03437m which was the wrong answer..

Can anyone please help me and lead me in the right direction???

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2009 #2
    nevermind, i somehow got it, not sure i completely understand it, but i will in time =]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook