Center of Mass/Moment of Inertia Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the distance of the center of mass and the moment of inertia of a system consisting of two masses separated by a distance L. The answer for the first part is D, and for the second part, the correct answer is obtained by taking the sum of the squared distances from the center of mass of each mass, multiplied by their respective masses.
Victorzaroni

Homework Statement

Masses M1 and M2 are separated by a distance L. The distance of the center of mass of the system at P from M1 as shown above would be:
(A) (M1L)/(M2)
(B) ((M2+M1)L)/M1
(C) ((M2+M1)L)/M2
(D) (M2L)/(M1+M2)
(E) (M1L)/(M1+M2)

The moment of inertia of the system about the center of mass at P would be:
(A) (M1+M2)L^2
(B) [(M1+M2)/(M1M2)]L^2
(C) (M1M2L^2)/(M1+M2)
(D) (M1L^2)/(M1+M2)
(E) (M2L^2)/(M1+M2)

All of the 1s and 2s should be subscripts, I'm just lazy.

Homework Equations

Xcom=(M1X1+M2X2)/(M1+M2)
I=ML2?

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first part, that ended up being simple. The answer was D. I don't understand how to get the moment of inertia though. I tried doing I=mL^2=>I=(M1+M2)(Choice D)^2, but it didn't work. Help!

Kids were telling me it was C, but I don't know how to get that.

Attachments

• photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 555
Physics news on Phys.org
The moment of inertia of a point mass M at a distance d from a point is Md2, with respect to that point. You have masses M1 and M2. What is their distances from the CM?

ehild

I have the distances to the CM from M1. I need to do the same thing for M2 then. But where do I go from there? Once I have these two distances, do I plug them both in for d separately and add?

Yes, square the distances, multiply by the masses and add.

ehild

I got it. Thanks!

You are welcome. :smile:

ehild

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point at which the mass of an object is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also known as the center of gravity.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by taking the sum of the mass of all the individual parts of an object, multiplied by their respective distances from a chosen point, and dividing by the total mass of the object.

3. What is the significance of the center of mass?

The center of mass is important because it helps us understand how an object will behave when subjected to external forces. It also plays a crucial role in determining stability and balance of an object.

4. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by taking the sum of the mass of all the individual parts of an object, multiplied by the square of their respective distances from the axis of rotation.

5. How is the moment of inertia related to the center of mass?

The moment of inertia is directly related to the distribution of mass around the center of mass. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will have a more spread out mass distribution, while objects with a smaller moment of inertia will have a more concentrated mass distribution around the center of mass.